Pathology Bailout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scurred

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do we apply for money from the government?

Members don't see this ad.

How do we apply for money from the government?

LMAO...no, they are TAKING money from us to give to the "needy" poor people and starving Ibankers.

LMAO...no, they are TAKING money from us to give to the "needy" poor people and starving Ibankers.

I think you mean the "needy" starving ibankers...there are no poor people receiving money...

i think someone should put bush on trial for idiocracy...seriously...and then start a eugenics program and eliminate everyone with IQs lower than 130

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you mean the "needy" starving ibankers...there are no poor people receiving money...

i think someone should put bush on trial for idiocracy...seriously...and then start a eugenics program and eliminate everyone with IQs lower than 130

Holy smoke! I'll say nothing about Bush and an IQ driven eugenics program!

I made a refi inquiry since my rate sucks balls by today's standard. My mortgage guy recently said to me "There is zero incentive for anyone to refi your loan, your loan is perfoming." I'd have to pony up more $ to get the terms I'd like & it ain't gonna happen.

If I defaulted I could renegotiate the terms of my loan, but as long as I pay I get the shaft. I didn't even get kissed... If I need a bailout, I'd better get the buckets and start bailing because no one is going to do it for me.

Get your finances in order. Pay off those revolting student loans, because nobody who counts gives a **** about physician debt and yours won't be forgiven.

On a related note, CAP called the other day trying to woo me back, saying they now offer reduced membership fees for all those pathologists under "economic hardship".

CAP at your service!

Get your finances in order. Pay off those revolting student loans, because nobody who counts gives a **** about physician debt and yours won't be forgiven.

On a related note, CAP called the other day trying to woo me back, saying they now offer reduced membership fees for all those pathologists under "economic hardship".

CAP at your service!

Actually... with recent tripling of deficit and real prospect of hyperinflation, I am not worried about my debt at all. In fact I don't ever plan to pay it back in full; instead I'll just wait until inflation eats it away.

Actually... with recent tripling of deficit and real prospect of hyperinflation, I am not worried about my debt at all. In fact I don't ever plan to pay it back in full; instead I'll just wait until inflation eats it away.

I'm all about hyperinflation...it would make my loans worthless...the best part about my student loans is that

1) i won't be put in jail because the penal system is broke and releasing criminals early.
2) if I wait long enough to pay it back, it could be just one month's salary, I just have to make sure none of my loans have a variable IR

"Speculation of hyperinflation" is the key term. From what I understand, if we fall into a depression similar to the great depression, we will see deflation, not inflation as people hoard their money because they fear their future and don't trust banks (fearing bank failure despite a modest FDIC insurance). Less money available means banks continue to be very picky about handing out loans, meaning money in the economic system becomes more scarce, meaning money has relatively MORE value. This, of course, assumes the government doesn't try to offset this by just printing gazillions of dollars.

Speculate away.

I guess I’m just opposed to the notion that the government can fix economic woes by filling every crack of government space with tax-payer dollars under the guise of “creating and/or saving” jobs, which is merely a numbers game using the Keynesian multiplier.
<O:p</O:p
And has anyone actually read (at least the first few dozen pages of) the stimulus and its amendments?
http://readthestimulus.org/

Examples:
$4.5 million for new park development in Manhattan.
$1.7 million for "Swine Odor and Manure Management Research."
$1.2 million for mosquito trapping in Florida.
$200,000 for a "tattoo-removal violence-outreach program" in Los Angeles.

Pittance, yes, but just exmples that add up.

It’s simply fascinating to go down the laundry list of appropriations given to the most abstract of necessities, most of which equate, in some way, shape or form, to Democratic interests. Rahm Emanuel put it bluntly: “You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.”
<O:p</O:p

Moreover, let us not forget the primo rule with government budgets: If you give a mouse a cookie, it will want some milk. The notion that these tens of millions upon billions of dollars will simply vanish from future budgets, especially from behemoths like the Dept of Education, flies in the face of nearly all forms of government spending, and regardless that they are supposedly going to be phased out or only spread over the next few years, I guarantee you that we’re still going to see tens of millions of dollars regularly appropriated to these various agencies & agendas as a means to maintain the status quo. This is government precedent.

"There is, of course, another responsibility we have to our children. And that is the responsibility to ensure that we do not pass on to them a debt they cannot pay. ... We cannot simply spend as we please and defer the consequences." --President Obama

My six-figure student loans are at a very attractive 2.25%, currently the very lowest interest obligation I have. I will ride this one out to the bitter end.

I'm just ticked off that I can't get a refi because I pay my bills, yet the irresponsible dirtbags who don't pay can renegotiate almost at will....

If the parasite burden overwhelms, the host will surely die.

Last edited:
My six-figure student loans are at a very attractive 2.25%, currently the very lowest interest obligation I have. I will ride this one out to the bitter end.

I'm just ticked off that I can't get a refi because I pay my bills, yet the irresponsible dirtbags who don't pay can renegotiate almost at will....

If the parasite burden overwhelms, the host will surely die.

Then stop paying your bills. No, seriously.

Then stop paying your bills. No, seriously.

As long as people pay their taxes, their bills, and vote they retain the right to complain about the state of affairs.

I'm not saying don't complain. I'm really saying, stop paying your bills. Act like you are about to default, and your history of paying your bills will make you a perfect candidate for mortage term renegotiation. Don't worry about your credit scores, you can't get credit these days anyway.

"Speculation of hyperinflation" is the key term. From what I understand, if we fall into a depression similar to the great depression, we will see deflation, not inflation as people hoard their money because they fear their future and don't trust banks (fearing bank failure despite a modest FDIC insurance). Less money available means banks continue to be very picky about handing out loans, meaning money in the economic system becomes more scarce, meaning money has relatively MORE value. This, of course, assumes the government doesn't try to offset this by just printing gazillions of dollars.

Speculate away.

The government has every incentive to print lots of money, as they don't want the massive national debt to have relatively more value. This contrasts the Great Depression, at the outset of which there was little national debt.

I'm not saying don't complain. I'm really saying, stop paying your bills. Act like you are about to default, and your history of paying your bills will make you a perfect candidate for mortage term renegotiation. Don't worry about your credit scores, you can't get credit these days anyway.

I'd hate to advocate this given that it will make the problems worse if everyone did so... but really, unless you will be in the market to buy a new house in the next 6 years.... why not?

Yeah but if you actually have the money to pay the bills, that isn't going to work and you're going to get in more trouble.

Does anyone worry about honesty/integrity anymore?

Does anyone worry about honesty/integrity anymore?

Point taken; I am only half kidding. But to the extent that I am in earnest, I think most people who are close to defaulting are making a choice not to pay. The penalty of defaulting is not sufficiently worrisome to some people that they make the necessary sacrifices to make on-time payments. And that penalty is about to be removed. Why shouldn't Listeria make the same choice, assuming the income to mortgage payment ratio is just as difficult to maintain? I owned a house in med school, the payments were close to half my "income," but I made the payments and rode my bike, never ate out, etc. My neighbor foreclosed, not because he lost his job, but because house payments were less important to him than other things. Sorry for the derail.

Point taken; I am only half kidding. But to the extent that I am in earnest, I think most people who are close to defaulting are making a choice not to pay. The penalty of defaulting is not sufficiently worrisome to some people that they make the necessary sacrifices to make on-time payments. And that penalty is about to be removed. Why shouldn't Listeria make the same choice, assuming the income to mortgage payment ratio is just as difficult to maintain? I owned a house in med school, the payments were close to half my "income," but I made the payments and rode my bike, never ate out, etc. My neighbor foreclosed, not because he lost his job, but because house payments were less important to him than other things. Sorry for the derail.

I appreciate your point, and the humorous tone. :) You are correct, it is all about choices. As a parent I have rare hypocritical moments, but I cannot look my kids in the eyes and tell them not to cheat/steal when cheating/stealing is exactly what this scenario amounts to (at least by my definition). Freaking conscience!