Pathology exposure in gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cucullaris

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad really interested in exploring pathology in my gap year between undergraduate and medical school. Does anyone know what kind of job would be best to look for during that year? I'm primarily looking for something that would expose me to the kinds of things pathologists deal with most frequently. It would also be nice if it could give me an advantage in pathology residency, should I choose to take it that far. Is there anything out there like that, that two years of research experience and a BS in Biology would qualify me for?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you looking for something paid or volunteer? I've seen undergrad students do research with attendings. Attendings LOVE having people assist with their research, particularly since undergrads are much more enthusiastic than residents. Having said this, most research positions may need a grant to pay you & grants are hard to come by these days. If you are in proximity to any large teaching institutions, find out who the chair or program director is & contact him/her. I'm sure someone can tell you what opportunities are available.

When I did my fellowship, one of the cytotechs had her daughter, an undergrad, work in the cytotech prep room. It wasn't the most interesting job, but on her down time she would spend time with the cytopathologists & double scope with them, too. She was able to get a letter of recommendation from this experience. I'm not sure how willing the AP staff would be for you to assist with the histotech or grossing side of pathology. They are probably too worried about something going wrong.

Anyhow, my advice to you is to contact the heads of the pathology departments in your area. Best of luck

I am an undergrad really interested in exploring pathology in my gap year between undergraduate and medical school. Does anyone know what kind of job would be best to look for during that year? I'm primarily looking for something that would expose me to the kinds of things pathologists deal with most frequently. It would also be nice if it could give me an advantage in pathology residency, should I choose to take it that far. Is there anything out there like that, that two years of research experience and a BS in Biology would qualify me for?

Thanks!

Just curiosity on my part, but, why do you have a "gap year" between undergrad and med school in the first place? I give you lots of credit for trying to do something productive and related to the field you want to go into during this time, but I think that avoiding gaps in your training would be the best option, if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to make money during that year, but I could volunteer in something interesting and work part time in something else if it came down to it.

I have to take a gap year because I couldn't finish enough of my medical school course requirements until my senior year, and then the medical admissions process will take another year. I decided late sophomore year to be pre-med, and it would have been impossible to complete the majority of course requirements in one year, in time to apply as a junior.

If you already have an acceptance for med school, then I'd use that time to travel or do bucket-list things, if you can. It's much more fun to talk about during an interview than that you volunteered at a pathology office doing schlepp work or maybe a little research, and probably much more fun period. There will be time to get some experience in pathology during medical school, although you'll have to go a little out of your way to do it -- or if you're really concerned, spend a month at a pathology department/office somewhere just to get a little real-world exposure to it. I wouldn't do an entire year -unless- you latch onto something which really and truly interests you -- not solely because you're worried it's the only/best way to further your career.

Just saw your reply pop up -- If the finances aren't there.. well, I can't think of an obvious relevant job-job in the market as a finishing undergrad without already having a connection. But I'd agree with asking around the local departments. It's been a while, but I don't remember finishing my application stuff until sometime in my senior year of undergrad, though I don't remember what I had to include as far as when I "had" to have finished any requirements as I already had MCAT results in hand. In fact, I'm not sure I recall there being any course requirements per se, so long as one did adequately on the MCAT -- and it may be that you're delaying that until after some relevant courses, or the applications may not be what I recall, either. Probably beside the point.