pathology journal---advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleeping beauty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a little bit of research in liver cancer and want to publish somewhere. I need seniors and attendings' advice on pathology journal selection.

the main findings are: there are multiple morphological components in a single tumor. diff components have diff IHC features and diff biological behavior in terms of metastasis. then i make a wild conclusion: based on the some markers, we can predict the metastasis potential.

this is a case study.

I am a PGY1. I had experience in basic research and published a lot of papers. i know well about journals in basic research in biomedical fields. however i know nothing at all about pathology journals. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, to be honest, most case reports do not make wild conclusions, they just report a case. And to get published, they have to be something rare or a new combination of things, something like that. If it is a really great case that is classic some journals would publish it (like an amoeboma or something random like that).

Archives will publish case reports. Some of the European journals might be better bets. I wouldn't bother with human path or AJSP or modern path.

Well, to be honest, most case reports do not make wild conclusions, they just report a case. And to get published, they have to be something rare or a new combination of things, something like that. If it is a really great case that is classic some journals would publish it (like an amoeboma or something random like that).

Archives will publish case reports. Some of the European journals might be better bets. I wouldn't bother with human path or AJSP or modern path.

I was thinking similarly... I have a nice molecular Path-type project wrapping up, and wanted to know the IFs for the most common path journals. Which ones are the best/worthwhile?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking similarly... I have a nice molecular Path-type project wrapping up, and wanted to know the IFs for the most common path journals. Which ones are the best/worthwhile?

i do not want to use IF as a criteria. however, i am also interested in know which path journals are among the best (for future publishing).

for my case study, actually my chair asked me to try Human Pathology. however as i said, i know nothing about path journals. my current goal is: publish somewhere, anywhere.

American Journal of Pathology has the highest IF I believe....

http://in-cites.com/research/2007/september_24_2007-2.html

Check out this presentation

http://www.apcprods.org/mtg/2006/Fri%20AM/Crawford.ppt

Unfortunately the IF of most path journals blows.... the problem is that the majority of pathologists don't give a crap.... and the ones that do are shooting for Cell... Science... Nature...

i do not want to use IF as a criteria. however, i am also interested in know which path journals are among the best (for future publishing).

Curious as to why you don't want to use impact factor as a criteria for ranking journals, because its sort of the gold standard. The IFs for path journals may be lame, but in general they give you a rough feel for how much a certain journal is read and cited ...

You can also look at the editorial board, and I'd recommend reading the Information to Authors published by each journal - it'll tell you if they publish case reports, give you an idea of the scope of the journal, etc.

And making wild conclusions on a case report seems dodgy... I'd be more comfortable including it in a little speculation in the discussion, clearly delineated as such.

DBH

American Journal of Pathology has the highest IF I believe....

http://in-cites.com/research/2007/september_24_2007-2.html

Check out this presentation

http://www.apcprods.org/mtg/2006/Fri%20AM/Crawford.ppt

Unfortunately the IF of most path journals blows.... the problem is that the majority of pathologists don't give a crap.... and the ones that do are shooting for Cell... Science... Nature...

Awesome- thanks. These IFs are a lot lower than I'm used to, but an IF of nearly 6 is nothing to sneaze at... it's pretty respectable. I Think anything over 3 is generally worth your while.

Personally I wouldn't worry so much about IF for case reports. But maybe I'm in the minority.

This is likely true for case reports...There is also a Journal actually called Pathology Case Reviews...

Have not seen it on medline... seen it lying around various departments though.

IF not withstanding, I would think you'd really want to publish in a journal that's indexed in Medline... but that could again be my basic science bias talking.

Just seems like most papers are found either by citation in other papers, or by Pubmed/OVID searches...

DBH