Pathology lecture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILikePath

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've made up my mind...finally! I'm doing pathology and I'm very happy and confident with my decision! I don't even know why I doubted this field in the first place..must be the haters who got to me :)

Anyway, I'm about to do a lecture infront of this pathology department and I was wondering what would be a good topic to give infront of experienced pathologists (with gazillion years of experience!). I really want to educate people and not bore them to death with things they've heard or seen over and over again.

Thanks in advance!

PS. I need to change my name to ILovePath, but I think it's already taken :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

i think they'll expect you give a basic talk at your level, and there are gonna be people in your audience who don't know your topic or who may not have seen it in a while. but if you want something that'll engage more people in your audience, you can do it on a diagnostic issue that people have difficulty with, like differentiating adh from dcis or something. perhaps you can touch on interobserver reproducibility. another good one would be diagnosing ascus on paps. these topics may be too broad though. maybe your best bet would be to do a case that's not all too common.

ILikePath said:
So I've made up my mind...finally! I'm doing pathology and I'm very happy and confident with my decision! I don't even know why I doubted this field in the first place..must be the haters who got to me :)

Welcome to path! Will you be applying this year? Also, just out of curiosity, what other fields did you consider?

Members don't see this ad :)
ILikePath said:

Anyway, I'm about to do a lecture infront of this pathology department and I was wondering what would be a good topic to give infront of experienced pathologists (with gazillion years of experience!). I really want to educate people and not bore them to death with things they've heard or seen over and over again.

Thanks in advance!

PS. I need to change my name to ILovePath, but I think it's already taken :oops:

What area of pathology???

Cool topics off the top of my head:
Potential use of flow cytometry for solid organ tumor diagnosis.
C-kit expression in different disease states and its diagnostic utility as a marker.
Paroxsymal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria, Aplastic Anemia and their association with Myelodysplasia and Acute Leukemia.
Very cool:Hierarchical clusterings of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) based on gene expression signatures to classify DLBCL into Germinal Center B-cell (GCB) and Activated B-cell (ABC) types.
Ref's
1.)Microarray-based classification of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.
Eur J Haematol. 2005 Jun;74(6):453-65.

2.)Confirmation of the molecular classification of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma by immunohistochemistry using a tissue microarray.
Blood. 2004 Jan 1;103(1):275-82. Epub 2003 Sep 22.

3.) Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma subgroups have distinct genetic profiles that influence tumor biology and improve gene-expression-based survival prediction.
Blood. 2005 Nov 1;106(9):3183-90. Epub 2005 Jul 26.

4.) Gene expression profiling of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.
Leuk Lymphoma. 2003;44 Suppl 3:S41-7. Review.

Thank you for the tips! There's no particular field of pathology to focus on...they said just whatever I wanted to present. I actually have to start making the lecture today:)

Oh, and my other choice was Peds. My attendings during my rotation tried to convince me that I belong in their field and not Pathology. They were telling me how personable I am, blah blah blah. Actually, this happened in all my clinical rotations. I told them just because I like people and people like me doesn't mean I don't belong in Pathology. I've met some really wonderful and personable people in our Pathology department at the hospital...actually more personable than my attendings in clinical rotations!

And yup, I'm applying this year and can't wait to belong to this wonderful group of people! I'm actually about to meet with my path advisor to choose potential residency places:)

ILikePath said:
Thank you for the tips! There's no particular field of pathology to focus on...they said just whatever I wanted to present. I actually have to start making the lecture today:)

Oh, and my other choice was Peds. My attendings during my rotation tried to convince me that I belong in their field and not Pathology. They were telling me how personable I am, blah blah blah. Actually, this happened in all my clinical rotations. I told them just because I like people and people like me doesn't mean I don't belong in Pathology. I've met some really wonderful and personable people in our Pathology department at the hospital...actually more personable than my attendings in clinical rotations!

And yup, I'm applying this year and can't wait to belong to this wonderful group of people! I'm actually about to meet with my path advisor to choose potential residency places:)

There are no wonderful people in path, look at me, we are mean, cynical and chronically unsatisfied.

My tip: Pick something specific and focused and which is commensurate with your level of training. Thus, you are not going to give a talk on the immunohistochemistry of the unknown primary cancer, or flow cytometry of T cell lymphomas.

Do something basic - pick a tumor, give a case presentation, show some slides, and summarize the current knowledge. Synovial Sarcoma or something like that, I don't know.

yaah said:
My tip: Pick something specific and focused and which is commensurate with your level of training. Thus, you are not going to give a talk on the immunohistochemistry of the unknown primary cancer, or flow cytometry of T cell lymphomas.

Do something basic - pick a tumor, give a case presentation, show some slides, and summarize the current knowledge. Synovial Sarcoma or something like that, I don't know.
Agree with this. Definitely pick a very focused topic.

Talks are very easy to bomb. And if you bomb the talk, and they remember, your chances of landing a residency there are worsened.

Trust me...it happens here.

LADoc00 said:
There are no wonderful people in path, look at me, we are mean, cynical and chronically unsatisfied.
Nah man...that's just you. And that's why we all love you, man!

dn8069-1_350.jpg

AndyMilonakis said:
Agree with this. Definitely pick a very focused topic.

Talks are very easy to bomb. And if you bomb the talk, and they remember, your chances of landing a residency there are worsened.

Trust me...it happens here.

Yeah, nothing worse than a student getting up there and talking about something they know nothing about other than what they just read. Presentations as students are not really meant to break new ground and introduce info that no one has heard of. You don't want to be controversial or esoteric. You want to be interesting - if you focus on a topic that you can understand and cover in detail, even if it is a simple topic, it will be easier to do this. I heard student presentations that were very good including one that the guy presented a case of a schwannoma and talked about the differential diagnosis and what immunostains you use and what it needs to be distinguished from, etc. It was great.

yaah said:
Yeah, nothing worse than a student getting up there and talking about something they know nothing about other than what they just read. Presentations as students are not really meant to break new ground and introduce info that no one has heard of. You don't want to be controversial or esoteric. You want to be interesting - if you focus on a topic that you can understand and cover in detail, even if it is a simple topic, it will be easier to do this. I heard student presentations that were very good including one that the guy presented a case of a schwannoma and talked about the differential diagnosis and what immunostains you use and what it needs to be distinguished from, etc. It was great.
Plus, I think with presentations, more than half the battle is the way the information is presented. The topic, in my opinion, is less important than the way it is presented. If you're a dynamic speaker, sound confident, and engage the audience, you're set.

I remember talking about pheos during my med student talk during my path rotation. I made it a point to talk about how pheos can sometimes (rarely) present as a scrotal mass (but of course, if you're outside the adrenal, it's really a paraganglioma, yes?). Imagine readjusting your nether-region or relieving the occasional itch and then getting headaches and palpitations. Yeah...Appelman laughed his ass off.

Thanks for the additional tips! I definitely agree that I'll feel more confident up there when I know the topic well.

ILikePath said:
Thanks for the additional tips! I definitely agree that I'll feel more confident up there when I know the topic well.
thanks very much for your act.

ILikePath said:
thanks very much for your act.