pathology:md vs do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegangirl

DOctor begins with DO
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

so right now im looking at getting in2 University of Hawaii-JABSOM (MD)and MSUCOM (DO) and i was wondering if its better to go MD vs DO for pathology.

cheers

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, it's REALLY REALLY rarely that I stumble over Path DO's.

Along those lines, I saw one DO applicant on my interview trail.

The question of DOs in Path comes up occasionally on this forum - try a search for old threads.

I think how this might be significant is that you know from the get-go that you're taking the less-travelled path, with less guidance and connections (be it peers or faculty) that you might possibly otherwise have. But that is just my speculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the reasons why you don't see many DO pathologists is because there are no longer any open osteopathic path residencies. There are, however, DOs in allo residencies. I cannot attest to whether or not it is more difficult to match path as a DO.

I would wager a guess that DO's ALWAYS have it slightly more difficult than MD's when they attempt to match into an allopathic residency program. Therefore the answer would be that you should get an MD if you want to be more competitive.

PathOne said:
For what it's worth, it's REALLY REALLY rarely that I stumble over Path DO's.

I said that once, chatting at conference to a 30-something woman at a happy hour thing, lo and behold she was a DO and making some crazy salary in dermpath, karma's a bitch.

As a soon to be DO and current applicant for path I can tell you that it hasn't really hurt me to come from a DO school. Some of the top tier programs may not be as welcoming to DO's as MD's but I received a lot of interviews from great places. That being said, if I knew entering med school that I wanted path (I like so many other naive med school applicants thought that primary care was for me...ohh the horror) I probably would have gone to an allopathic med school. Primary care is where osteopathy really shines but I feel that I am just as prepared as my allopathic counterparts to begin a path residency. Any more specific questions...feel free to PM me...

As far as there not being that many DO's in pathology, if you look hard enough, you will find them. Keep in mind that there are FAR FEWER DO's to begin with. When you consider that a majority of DO's go into primary care, that leaves even fewer DO's. Its more of a factor of numbers than DO's not being welcomed into the field.

I agree with joedogma. There are more DOs in pathology than you think. You just have to look hard enough. I am a DO. I interviewed at many great programs and ultimately chose my program for personal/family reasons though I had offers outside the match from these great programs (I was an intern at the time). I have heard of DOs in the following residency programs:

MCV, Cornell, Penn, Northwester, University of Washington (fellow), Emory, University of New Mexico, UAB, Ackerman Academy of Dermatopathology (fellow), MD Anderson, Ohio State to name a few.

This was almost three years ago mind you. The competition has definitely gone up since then. I heard last year Pathology filled more than 90 percent of it's slots through the match. I am not sure how this affected the match for osteopathic physicians last year. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that: One of the attendings at Bernie Ackerman's place (dermpath) is a DO (but can't really remember there's been anybody else but her in the program?). So it's certainly do-able, but there's just not that many around. As another poster mentioned, it's perhaps a combination of the primary gearing of DO's towards primary medicine, and partly a cultural thing.
I know there's incessant discussions about MD vs. DO on SDN, which is somewhat amusing, since every legal authority in the land, up to and including the Supreme Court, has ruled that DO have same rights as MD's.
Personally, I don't know much about DO training, but can't see why they shouldn't be able to become excellent pathologists.

vegangirl said:
:confused:

so right now im looking at getting in2 University of Hawaii-JABSOM (MD)and MSUCOM (DO) and i was wondering if its better to go MD vs DO for pathology.

cheers

I'd book the next flight to Hawaii!!! :laugh:

futureresident said:
I have heard of DOs in the following residency programs:

Indeed, we do have a DO in the residency program at MCV, and she is very good. She has stated in the past that our program here is DO friendly, and I gather that not all are.

Having a DO might close some doors for you, while having an MD won't close any. Something to consider, at least. I'd be on the plane to Hawaii, myself.

yaah said:
There's an attending at Dartmouth who is a DO and did a fellowship at MSKCC.

You want her to have your babies.

I'm a second year DO student and I am seriously looking into Pathology. Go where you feel more comfortable!