• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Pathology pre-match offers

About the Ads

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
  1. Attending Physician
    NYC cougar:
    roundup_0000000000002227_image_01.jpg

No?
    I would love to hear to tale of getting the prematch offer tho...is it scandalous??

Arctic Char

10+ Year Member
    Sep 23, 2005
    not fishing . . .
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      well . . . my ears are perking up. i didn't apply to either of those programs, and its past the deadline for ERAS. i wonder if it would be worth shooting them an email.

anybody feeling in the christmas spirit and wants to wrap a contract up with a bow and send it my way? I would bake you cookies . . . and i think i'm a pretty good catch, if i say so myself.

Nov 3, 2000
      The Belt
      1. Attending Physician

Nope, not true. We had a lot of spots to fill last year (about 15!), and plenty of people to choose from, and have an awesome first year class. This year, we have less spots (about the normal number 8ish I think), and even more awesome people to choose from....and aren't prematching because we're scurred of filling ;)

Last edited:
        About the Ads

Absidia

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Dec 12, 2008
          It is true that JHH has a lot of spots to fill this year (about 15). And while they are accepting a select handful outside the match (not "a good chunk," to be clear), it's not due to fear of not filling, but to even out the class size. For a combination of reasons, last year's class was only 5, and the year before was 12. Hope this helps.

docbiohazard

Highly ranked amateur
          10+ Year Member
          Mar 22, 2007
          Biocontainment
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            It is true that JHH has a lot of spots to fill this year (about 15). And while they are accepting a select handful outside the match (not "a good chunk," to be clear), it's not due to fear of not filling, but to even out the class size. For a combination of reasons, last year's class was only 5, and the year before was 12. Hope this helps.

This is line with what I've heard. Sorry to disappoint, scurred.

newyorkcougar

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            2+ Year Member
            7+ Year Member
            Aug 11, 2004
            multi-headed microscope room
            1. Medical Student
              Wow. My name is getting lots of attention. New York = where I was living when I started this account and Cougar = school mascot. Ergo newyorkcougar. I'm a big fan of classical music so I chose the Beethoven avitar (well, at least it kinda looks like Beethoven).

Does this mean that nobody on here has pre-matched yet? I was kind of under the impression that pre-matches were not really that uncommon.

Good luck everyone!

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
              15+ Year Member
              Sep 9, 2004
              1. Attending Physician
                Wow. My name is getting lots of attention. New York = where I was living when I started this account and Cougar = school mascot. Ergo newyorkcougar. I'm a big fan of classical music so I chose the Beethoven avitar (well, at least it kinda looks like Beethoven).

Does this mean that nobody on here has pre-matched yet? I was kind of under the impression that pre-matches were not really that uncommon.

Good luck everyone!

that was a disappointing explanation

VickyPath

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Sep 3, 2008
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  I accepted an out of Match position at my top choice as well, so I am thrilled, it was a while ago, but I was waiting to receive the signed contract from them before saying anything......didn't want to jinx it ;). Did you withdraw from the Match yet? I did today, it was kind of scary.......:eek:

VickyPath

10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Sep 3, 2008
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    VickyPath are you an FMG or AMG?? Curious as to who is getting out of match offers...

AMG's cannot get out of match positions, it is illegal per Match policies. Only FMG's can for some reason (which I think is unfair for AMG's, but that is the way it is for now...)...........needless to say I am FMG ;)

howelljolly

10+ Year Member
                    Aug 30, 2007
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      AMG's cannot get out of match positions, it is illegal per Match policies. Only FMG's can for some reason (which I think is unfair for AMG's, but that is the way it is for now...)...........needless to say I am FMG ;)

Somone else on another thread wrote that the reason FMGs can prematch has to do with the timing of getting a visa.

vinnyboy

10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Aug 19, 2008
                      1. Post Doc

The above statement is not true. Getting a prematch has more to do with your graduation status than amg/fmg status. If you have completed medical school and graduated by the time of interview you can get a prematch. It does not matter whether you are fmg or amg.

VickyPath

10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Sep 3, 2008
                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                          The above statement is not true. Getting a prematch has more to do with your graduation status than amg/fmg status. If you have completed medical school and graduated by the time of interview you can get a prematch. It does not matter whether you are fmg or amg.

Oh, I didn't know that, therefore it must depend on whether you are an independent applicant vs applying through your medical school (student AMG's).....Thank's for the info, it is always good to learn something new ;)

howelljolly

10+ Year Member
                          Aug 30, 2007
                          1. Resident [Any Field]
                            US grads, foreign, and international grads can prematch. US seniors must participate in the match. As I said, another thread mentions a reason for the loophole for foreign grads being able to prematch is that the March Match day to July 1st might not be long enough to square away the visa paperwork.

However it is not true that you can prematch, only if you have completed med school at the time of your interview. US-IMGs often prematch before they graduate med school, effectively using the loophole in the loophole.

About the Ads
                            This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            7. This thread is locked.