pathology programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strep paniticus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
greetings!

i am an ms4 who is going to apply to programs in pathology for residency. i came to this decision late, after figuring out that i liked almost everything but not enought to do it every day. then i had a pathology elective and loved it.

can anyone enlighten me on the best programs around the country. or it might be more helpful if i could learn which programs to AVOID! i am looking at programs mostly near the 2 coasts but that is like 50 programs and i can't apply to that many.

:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Almost all the big university programs are fine programs. You just need to go and see if you like what they have and the people you will be around for 4 years or more. Make sure you ask the residents about the hours and the workload during surg path. And, try to get a feel if they are happy with the program.

One good thing to consider is that most people find jobs near where they do residency. So try to pick a place you may like to live from now on.

When someone asks what the "best" school is it is always a tough question to answer. It many times depends on what you want to do with yourself afterward. If you want academics then you should try to go for a big named school "Stanford, Mass Gen, Mayo, etc......" But, if that is not your thing I wouldn't classify these as necessarily the best choices. If you want to go derm or cyto you better pick a program that has a good program in that. But, if you want to go private practice the best pick is just where you will be happiest.

Good luck.

Btw VCU/MCV has an awesome cyto program. :)

Hey guys,

I am also going to pathology and I have my elective next month. Does any one recommend some good books (review too!) that can help me thru my rotation

Thanks
J

I love "Histology for Pathologists." Re-reading Robbins isn't a bad idea either.

Mindy