pathology residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sophialovescupcake

Reaction score
Is there any reliable resource to see the pathology residency program ranking? Or how could we tell a program is a malignant or not? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There’s no ranking. Just go to the best university based hospital with many fellowships you can match into and that you’d be happy at. Many fellowships means there’s adequate volume to support a fellowship. So more fellowships = more volume = more expertise = better training.

The more experts at your program the better.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there any reliable resource to see the pathology residency program ranking? Or how could we tell a program is a malignant or not? Thank you!

Do some digging on this forum. There are many previous threads on weak programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The Doximity residency rankings are fine for a general ballpark for top, mid, and lower tier programs. For pathology training, some academic centers punch above or below their general reputational weight and I think that is generally reflected in those rankings.

No good way to tell "malignancy" if you're not there to experience it. Best you can do is dig through the heresay, or you can try to talk to pathology residents at your home program or away rotations to get a candid answer about different places they interviewed at.

There’s no ranking. Just go to the best university based hospital with many fellowships you can match into and that you’d be happy at. Many fellowships means there’s adequate volume to support a fellowship. So more fellowships = more volume = more expertise = better training.

I've done residency and fellowship(s) at two kinds of places. In residencies with many fellowships and very high volume (large academic medical centers), fellows on subspecialty sign out services tend to gobble up the surgical cases. This may not lead to optimal resident training. In programs with few (or no) fellowships and medium volume, the residents can handle and read out most of the cases in general sign out. Grossing and autopsies are also lighter. Just my opinion. More volume/fellowships isn't always better for resident training.

I've done residency and fellowship(s) at two kinds of places. In residencies with many fellowships and very high volume (large academic medical centers), fellows on subspecialty sign out services tend to gobble up the surgical cases. This may not lead to optimal resident training. In programs with few (or no) fellowships and medium volume, the residents can handle and read out most of the cases in general sign out. Grossing and autopsies are also lighter. Just my opinion. More volume/fellowships isn't always better for resident training.
This is weird. Why couldn’t you sit in on those signouts? i get the fellow-driven model taking cases in a clinical residency like surgery but doesn’t make sense for pathology. You also can look at the cases after they are signed out. Sounds like you trained at a bad place. I went to a high-volume place with tons of fellowships and saw more than I could have ever cared to see. I was welcome to go to any signout I wanted as long as I covered my responsibilities. Also had my foot in the door for any fellowship I wanted.

Reactions: 2 users

I see that Henry Ford Hospital has over 180,000 surgical specimens, they have no in-house fellowship except LGG and informatics. What do you think about this case?