Pathology Shelf Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrtsurgeon2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the Shelf exam by NBME? How many questions are in it and are they close to the path questions encountered on the USMLE step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

hrtsurgeon2b said:
Is the Shelf exam by NBME? How many questions are in it and are they close to the path questions encountered on the USMLE step 1?

100-150.

Similar in difficulty, but shorter stems. Use BRS Path, Robbins Question book, and lastly WebPath if you have the time. Did good on that test, and thats what I used.

Yes, it's produced by the NBME, has 125 questions on it, and it's as close as you can possibly get to the style of actual Step 1 path questions.

I would also like to add that I thought the Pathology shelf questions got into more detail than the step.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pril said:
I would also like to add that I thought the Pathology shelf questions got into more detail than the step.

Definatelly agree here. Also my Path shelf contained a considerable amount of what I would Call Microbiology or Immunology but presented froma path standpoint. This took me kind of by suprise because I did not study Micro or Immuno for this exam.

That being said definatelly spend some time on the Robbin's chapter on infectious diseases and do not neglect the first few chapters of BRS Path that deal with basic prinicples of pathology and immunologic responses to infection and injury.

A lot more general path (as opposed to organ systems path) and infectious path on tbhis test than I imagined.

I agree with the emphasis on Micro/Immuno (big mistake to neglect infectious disease!) but I disagree with the shelf going into more detail than the step. I felt I could answer most the shelf questions after reading the first sentence, whereas on the step I would sometimes have to read the question quite a few times to get everything.

Doesn't mean I'm right and Alex and Pril are wrong-- it just goes to show you that everyone has their own experience when they take any exam. ;)

I thought the path shelf was very simple and strait foward compared to USMLE. Did well on both, but the shelf exam was much easier and had more buzzwords.