pathology visiting student elective program

Started by akshay1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

akshay1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello Doctors,
I am a final year medical student and i will be starting my elective course from monday.. any tips as to how to go about and getting lors?
what should i do in the entire 4 week course.
i would really appreciate some advice

cheers !
 
hello Doctors,
I am a final year medical student and i will be starting my elective course from monday.. any tips as to how to go about and getting lors?
what should i do in the entire 4 week course.
i would really appreciate some advice

cheers !

1. Be on time.
2. Have appropriate clinical knowledge for an MS4.
3. Read about the entities you see.
4. Ask questions, but don't be overbearing.
 
Ditto.

There are a few threads on this topic floating around -- I don't think the answers change all that much.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did 3 electives in path this summer, and they were pretty laid back. I would say to use it more as an experience to help you decide what type of program you are looking for/see if that program would be a good fit for you. If there is a particular area of pathology that you want to spend more time in, let them know ahead of time, and the department will most likely try to schedule it for you.

If you are trying to get letters of recommendation, I would suggest trying to get to know one or two of the attendings well, and then asking them towards the end. Most places have you do a presentation to the department, which is pretty much what your evaluation is based on. I used the presentations as opportunities to work more with certain pathologists, which can help you get a letter as well.

Other than that, just relax and have fun. It is a great opportunity to see more of the country, and meet new people. Oh, and don't be weird towards the residents because they have input as to what they think of applicants, so just don't be a weirdo and you should be fine. 🙂 Best of Luck!!
 
hey thank you all for the invaluable advice..
i will surely try to do my best !
thanks a lot !