Pathology vs Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

rbuss

I was wondering for those who have gone into pathology if they considered radiology as a career and why they picked pathology.

I am considering both at the moment and they have a lot of similarities. Both are diagnostic in nature, you are a physician consultant, you have more control over your hours compared to other fields, and both have a constant influx of new technology.

Thanks for any thoughts on the topic.

Members don't see this ad.

making a list of what it can be VERSUS making a diagnosis

any monkey can do the former, only those with nuts, knowledge, and know how do the latter

This has been discussed a number of times (and you might find previous threads more useful).

Bottom line, radiology and pathology are not nearly as similar as most medical students think and it is best to get significant exposure to both before making your decision. Pathologists are experts in diagnosis, radiologists are experts in medical imaging. If you truly like both equally (which is hard to imagine), then go with radiology as most evidence suggests that you will make more money/have more job options in the current market.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed that if you like both equally, go for rads. Look into IR if you like doing some procedures.

I've not chosen a residency yet, and have a rads elective coming up in the near future. I don't have much exposure to either at this point, but for me, I just like the laboratory environment better than the 'dark room' environment. Also, I like working with 'real stuff' instead of images.

They are very different fields, so as Gyric said, I'd think you'd be able to make a decision eventually based on which one you have more fun with.

Well, I am one of those people who, after many rotations, did like both equally. Yes it is possible to like both and yes they have a lot of similarities. They are in no way "very different" and even if they were there is no reason you can't like both the same. I really struggled with the choice so I just applied and interviewed at both (last year). My thoughts on the two…

Overall job:

Radiology- Is something wrong? If so, where, how bad, and can you give us a decent idea about what it might be?

Pathology- We are pretty sure something is wrong and have a decent idea what it is..here is a chunk, can you tell us for sure what it is?

They are both mainly about visual diagnostics (I'm only considering AP, since CP blows monkey balls). Both will get to be involved with all the coolest cases in the hospital. With radiology you are more likely to see a lot of normals, with pathology you mainly only see normals when somebody "missed" the biopsy. In radiology you get to help make the initial diagnosis and track changes, whereas in pathology you get the fun and privilege of being the last word on what is wrong.

All clinicians think they are radiologists, but only dermatologists try it in pathology.

Environment:

Radiology- nice, quiet dimly lit room with the occasional physician stopping by. Get to have a nice computer to look at.

Pathology- nice, quiet well lit room with the VERY occasional physician stopping by. Spend your day behind the scope.

Both fields will let you avoid the general chaos that is floor medicine, the ED, clinic and the OR.

Technology:

Radiology- lots of high tech toys, always changing
Pathology- microscopes?

If you are a nerd and like lots of techy stuff, radiology is far and away superior. If anyone says to you, but, but..MOLECULAR PATHOLOGY, punch them in the face and tell them to go back to their lab while you read some more slides and actually do something that is useful outside of academics.

Colleagues:

Radiology- nerdy, nice, laid back
Pathology- geeky, nice, laid back

Both fields attract smart people who have lots of interests outside of medicine. The residents and attendings in both are far and away the happiest and nicest people you will meet in medicine.

Research/Academics:

Radiology- To do what I consider "worthwhile and cool research" you should probably have an advanced degree in engineering or physics. Very few programs really, really try to push you into academics.

Pathology- Probably the most research friendly field you can find. Best and easiest way to become a full-time researcher if that is your thing. Also, far superior to radiology if you want to teach at some point.

Tip: If you are on an interview at any of the "top" research programs and surrounded by md/phds who want to revolutionize the world with their molecular pathology, don't tell your interviewers that your ideal job involves working in private practice in close enough proximity to a medical school so you can hopefully teach too. They will look at you like you have two heads since you don't want to be a super duper molecular pathology researcher. You will also be forced to cancel all of your other "big name" pathology interviews since none of them really care to focus on training someone who doesn't want to be in academics.

Competitiveness:

Radiology- pretty competitive, but lots of spots

Pathology- not very competitive, if you are a good student you will have your choice of programs and can train with those top molecular pathologists if you so choose.

Lifestyle:

Radiology- Intern year stinks, rest of residency is 8-5 with the occasional nightfloat. In practice mainly 8-5ish. Can work more or less, take call or not take call depending on how much money you want/need. Intern year stinks. Every time you have to trudge down to the ED at 3am to admit yet another 78 y/o w/ chf, copd, ckd, in with chest pain and SOB, you will wish you had gone into pathology.

Pathology- pretty much 8-5 both during and after residency

Money/jobs:

Radiology- jobs aren’t quite as plentiful as they were 4-5 years ago, but you can still more or less pick where you want to live and work and make a tidy sum of money. With so much money radiology is likely to be a big target for reimbursement cuts (even though nothing in radiology pays all that well...it is purely a volume thing).

Pathology- jobs not nearly as plentiful. Income varies widely as you have academics and people who join ubermegacorp path labs dragging down salaries. However, if you are okay with a little risk, have business sense, and are good at “politics” it is much easier to carve out your own practice from scratch and make the mega bucks then it is in radiology. In fact one of my highest ranked pathology programs was a little noname community program where they seemed excited to teach residents the business-side of pathology (they were well above all the "super duper big name research places" on my rank list).

So, at the end of the day, I really don't think you can go wrong with either field. You can always do what I did and just apply to both. Maybe you will make up your mind on the interview trail or maybe not. I ended up with a mixed match list and matched at my top choice which happened to be a radiology program. If I went down 1 more spot I would have been in pathology. rad=path>>>>> anything else in medicine. Good luck. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Reactions: 1 user
I suppose I should rescind my description of "very different" since it is obviously a relative term.

Though to be honest, saying they are very similar is like saying Neurosurg and Orthopedics are similar because they both cut on people, have horrible hours, and make lots of moolah.

Last edited:
Well, I am one of those people who, after many rotations, did like both equally. Yes it is possible to like both and yes they have a lot of similarities. They are in no way "very different" and even if they were there is no reason you can't like both the same. I really struggled with the choice so I just applied and interviewed at both (last year). My thoughts on the two…

Overall job:

Radiology- Is something wrong? If so, where, how bad, and can you give us a decent idea about what it might be?

Pathology- We are pretty sure something is wrong and have a decent idea what it is..here is a chunk, can you tell us for sure what it is?

They are both mainly about visual diagnostics (I'm only considering AP, since CP blows monkey balls). Both will get to be involved with all the coolest cases in the hospital. With radiology you are more likely to see a lot of normals, with pathology you mainly only see normals when somebody "missed" the biopsy. In radiology you get to help make the initial diagnosis and track changes, whereas in pathology you get the fun and privilege of being the last word on what is wrong.

All clinicians think they are radiologists, but only dermatologists try it in pathology.

Environment:

Radiology- nice, quiet dimly lit room with the occasional physician stopping by. Get to have a nice computer to look at.

Pathology- nice, quiet well lit room with the VERY occasional physician stopping by. Spend your day behind the scope.

Both fields will let you avoid the general chaos that is floor medicine, the ED, clinic and the OR.

Technology:

Radiology- lots of high tech toys, always changing
Pathology- microscopes?

If you are a nerd and like lots of techy stuff, radiology is far and away superior. If anyone says to you, but, but..MOLECULAR PATHOLOGY, punch them in the face and tell them to go back to their lab while you read some more slides and actually do something that is useful outside of academics.

Colleagues:

Radiology- nerdy, nice, laid back
Pathology- geeky, nice, laid back

Both fields attract smart people who have lots of interests outside of medicine. The residents and attendings in both are far and away the happiest and nicest people you will meet in medicine.

Research/Academics:

Radiology- To do what I consider "worthwhile and cool research" you should probably have an advanced degree in engineering or physics. Very few programs really, really try to push you into academics.

Pathology- Probably the most research friendly field you can find. Best and easiest way to become a full-time researcher if that is your thing. Also, far superior to radiology if you want to teach at some point.

Tip: If you are on an interview at any of the "top" research programs and surrounded by md/phds who want to revolutionize the world with their molecular pathology, don't tell your interviewers that your ideal job involves working in private practice in close enough proximity to a medical school so you can hopefully teach too. They will look at you like you have two heads since you don't want to be a super duper molecular pathology researcher. You will also be forced to cancel all of your other "big name" pathology interviews since none of them really care to focus on training someone who doesn't want to be in academics.

Competitiveness:

Radiology- pretty competitive, but lots of spots

Pathology- not very competitive, if you are a good student you will have your choice of programs and can train with those top molecular pathologists if you so choose.

Lifestyle:

Radiology- Intern year stinks, rest of residency is 8-5 with the occasional nightfloat. In practice mainly 8-5ish. Can work more or less, take call or not take call depending on how much money you want/need. Intern year stinks. Every time you have to trudge down to the ED at 3am to admit yet another 78 y/o w/ chf, copd, ckd, in with chest pain and SOB, you will wish you had gone into pathology.

Money/jobs:

Radiology- jobs aren't quite as plentiful as they were 4-5 years ago, but you can still more or less pick where you want to live and work and make a tidy sum of money. With so much money radiology is likely to be a big target for reimbursement cuts (even though nothing in radiology pays all that well...it is purely a volume thing).

Pathology- jobs not nearly as plentiful. Income varies widely as you have academics and people who join ubermegacorp path labs dragging down salaries. However, if you are okay with a little risk, have business sense, and are good at "politics" it is much easier to carve out your own practice from scratch and make the mega bucks then it is in radiology. In fact one of my highest ranked pathology programs was a little noname community program where they seemed excited to teach residents the business-side of pathology (they were well above all the "super duper big name research places" on my rank list).

So, at the end of the day, I really don't think you can go wrong with either field. You can always do what I did and just apply to both. Maybe you will make up your mind on the interview trail or maybe not. I ended up with a mixed match list and matched at my top choice which happened to be a radiology program. If I went down 1 more spot I would have been in pathology. rad=path>>>>> anything else in medicine. Good luck. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Radiology and pathology are VERY DIFFERENT although not exactly total opposites like medicine and surgery. Yes, the lifestyle is similar: you don't have to deal with patients, you come in to work do your thing and go home, it's image based, pattern recognition, attention to details in images or slides....

Pathology is basic science-oriented. You have to enjoy the basic sciences. Open up Robbins and read it and then open up Squire's . There is a huge difference between the two fields.

Pathologists do autopsies? Radiologists don't.

Pathology has a broad exposure to the laboratory (CP). Radiologists don't.

Rads you look at radiographs all day. Pathology you look at histology all day under the scope (not many ppl can do that).

Rads is more anatomy and physics. Pathology is Histo and anatomy, no physics..yay...

Pathology you have to enjoy looking at histology day in and day out. You really have to enjoy learning about the different stains to use to differentiate Cancer x from cancer Y.

Pathologists also have to look bone marrows and peripheral blood smears.

Pathologist gross in stinky appendices and open up bowels during autopsy. Radiologists dont even come near to touching one.

I can go on and on....

Both fields are great if you have a passion for it. Hell, any field is great if you have a passion for it. I def think the two are very different fields. If you like doing what both radiologists and pathologists do, then more power to ya. I can't see how someone with a true passion for one field can have a true passion for the other as well.

Oh, BTW, so what makes you say that "it is much easier to carve out your own practice from scratch and make the mega bucks then it is in radiology."?

The occasional hematologist tries to pretend they can look at a blood smear or bone marrow also, it is always good for entertainment.

Your pathology experience must not have included much transplant or bone marrow ... those clinicians are always crawling up your ***

At my academic medical center it is rare for radiology or pathology residents to get out before 5 pm, so probably more program than specialty specific.

Last edited:
The occasional hematologist tries to pretend they can look at a blood smear or bone marrow also, it is always good for entertainment.

You pathology experience must not have included much transplant or bone marrow ... those clinicians are always crawling up your ***

At my academic medical center it is rare for radiology or pathology residents to get out before 5 pm, so probably more program than specialty specific.

rumor has it that the heme-onc fellows at our hospital this year are especially *****ic. i had one page me on call and basically ask for permission to do a BMBx... well that's not what he meant but how it came across and i still dissolve in laughter when i think about it.

and as far as pathology residency being 8-5 pm.... must be nice... i want to go to that program! but yes, comparatively speaking, pathology residency is less of a time commitment, but the amount of information that I am expected to cram into my pea-brain is daunting...

Radiology is actually contracting at the same time they are pumping out TONS of new grads.

Path has always mismanaged the resources relative to the job market, ie-trained far far too many residents for the number of job openings.

If Path slashed the number of spots by 80% and getting a residency became as competitive as Ortho or Derm, there would be a very interesting new dynamic here.

Radiology is actually contracting at the same time they are pumping out TONS of new grads.

Path has always mismanaged the resources relative to the job market, ie-trained far far too many residents for the number of job openings.

If Path slashed the number of spots by 80% and getting a residency became as competitive as Ortho or Derm, there would be a very interesting new dynamic here.

oh yes, you would be seeing pathologists starting at 300-500K. I am willing to beg the powers to be to slash spots! It would open up so many new business opportunities as well.

There are already pathologists starting at those levels. It's rare, but it happens.
Ah ha, Weight Watchers...
I always spend a good hour on google every time you change your avatar, yaah.

IMHO, path & rads are oceans apart. Granted that they are both visual and divorced from the patient BS but that is where it ends for me.

I'd rather die than sit in a dark room dicking around with a differential when I could be making a real diagnosis.

BTW, an 8-5 pathology residency exists for AP only candidates??? Shenanigans!

You know what the radiologist's favorite plant is? The hedge!

You know what a radiologist's favorite food is? The waffle!

Reactions: 1 user
You know what the radiologist's favorite plant is? The hedge!

You know what a radiologist's favorite food is? The waffle!

Yaah, we can count on you for comic relief!

I do not get it. Please explain.