pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bradmister

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone know the MINIMUM that programs need from us (eg LoRs, Step 2 score, CAF) to offer an interview? I'm awaiting step 2 scores but my application is otherwise complete. Will they hold off inviting me until those scores are in? Any info would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know of any programs that require step 2 from American Grads. I've noticed that if you read the fine print, the step 2 requirement usually applies to foreign grads. ( I hope I'm right because I'm not taking my Step2 for a couple of months) Just look at your program requirments closely. Either way, send your application. If they need it usually you can have it forwarded later. They will probably interview you with your score pending unless you are a poor candidate.

The question has too many variables. It depends too heavily on things like the specific school, whether you are a us grad or not, if you have any interesting achievments etc.... Applications for path are managable enough that most programs really look them over well so some small thing could really effect whether you get an interview or not. There is certainly no hard and fast numbers that would exclude you except maybe failing step 1 repeatedly.

Don't know if this applies to you, but just in case, FMGs need to have much better numbers than US grads for the same consideration.

The programs can interview you if they are interested without having any of those numbers and letters. My program interviewed someone last year before the interview season started because they were from out of state and they were here doing a rotation. And, he ended up matching here this year. This just goes to show that programs like taking people they know. Doing away rotations at places you really want to go is a good thing (unless you make a bad impression :p )

Good luck.