NavyDoc23

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have already bought Pathoma along with the videos that go along with it and I'm debating whether to buy Kaplan HY. Do these two significantly overlap where it would be a waste of money, or is it worth it to also get Kaplan HY?

spicysoup55

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Also interested in this. I'm starting my dedicated study period soon and am wondering if a video resource is necessary, since my foundational knowledge is somewhat weak.

Are Pathoma and Kaplan videos similar enough that only one is needed or could you use them as supplements to each other?

If you recommend Kaplan, would you choose the "High Yield" option (priced $549) or "On Demand" (priced $1999)? Would there be enough time to do the "On Demand" version during a dedicated study period?

OnePunchBiopsy

General Surgery
Feb 3, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I used both Pathoma and Kaplan HY along with my coursework and found them both extremely helpful. No much overlap overall IMO, maybe for the pathology section of Kaplan HY?

OnePunchBiopsy

General Surgery
Feb 3, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Also interested in this. I'm starting my dedicated study period soon and am wondering if a video resource is necessary, since my foundational knowledge is somewhat weak.
If you are nearing your dedicated study time, I would mainly focus on doing just Qbank Questions and practice NBMEs and addressing your weak areas as they appear through your correct answer percentages.

spicysoup55

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If you are nearing your dedicated study time, I would mainly focus on doing just Qbank Questions and practice NBMEs and addressing your weak areas as they appear through your correct answer percentages.
Thanks for the tip. Did you use Kaplan lecture notes by any chance? Do you know how that content compares to what is Kaplan HY? (like is Kaplan HY just someone reading/explaining the notes?)

OnePunchBiopsy

General Surgery
Feb 3, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for the tip. Did you use Kaplan lecture notes by any chance? Do you know how that content compares to what is Kaplan HY? (like is Kaplan HY just someone reading/explaining the notes?)
The HY lectures came with a book of notes which were essentially fill-in-the-blank along with the lectures. If that is what you mean then yes, I used them with the lectures.