MD Pathoma Textbook, does it update every year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrangeCaramel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MSI and I just started Pathology at school, and I will be easing my way into Systems (which includes Path) in the spring semester. If I buy a Pathoma subscription right now (which I am guessing will give me the 2018 edition of the book) and I start making annotations, will I have to get the 2019 Pathoma edition of his textbookto study for step I? Does Dr Sattar update the book every year? Are the updates major?

i really like having a physical copy of the textbook, so this is why I'm asking. Obviously, I wouldn't transfer all my annotations to a new textbook because that is silly, but you get what I'm saying.

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing that updates is the year on the cover.

I am an MSI and I just started Pathology at school, and I will be easing my way into Systems (which includes Path) in the spring semester. If I buy a Pathoma subscription right now (which I am guessing will give me the 2018 edition of the book) and I start making annotations, will I have to get the 2019 Pathoma edition of his textbookto study for step I? Does Dr Sattar update the book every year? Are the updates major?

i really like having a physical copy of the textbook, so this is why I'm asking. Obviously, I wouldn't transfer all my annotations to a new textbook because that is silly, but you get what I'm saying.

He updates it, but it’s not substantial year to year but it probably would add up from 2013 to 2016 (I compared those two as I got one off hand and then bought one with my subscription). You should go ahead and just use this one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@BioMajor2MD Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Does anybody know when Dr. Sattar releases the new edition every year? I don't urgently need it now, so maybe I will wait until he releases the 2019 version.

@BioMajor2MD Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Does anybody know when Dr. Sattar releases the new edition every year? I don't urgently need it now, so maybe I will wait until he releases the 2019 version.

I'm pretty sure it's at least sometime in January if not earlier. I got the 2017 text in the first few weeks of January for my class I was in

I'm pretty sure it's at least sometime in January if not earlier. I got the 2017 text in the first few weeks of January for my class I was in

Update: for anybody reading this thread in the near future, I just emailed Support at Pathoma, and they said that the 2019 version of the textbook will be released about 12 months from the time of this post. I guess the 2018 textbook was released very recently.

I've heard that he's considered adding a "Nutritional Disorders" and "Infectious Disorders" chapters in the past (to mirror Robbins more closely) but it hasn't happened yet.