pathomechanism vertigo -> emesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Blondbondgirl

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I searched the forums but didn't find this thread-
I was curious why specifically vestibular vertigo causes nausea and vomiting- or for that matter, seesickness. I understand what happens in the labyrinth (or in the case of seesickness, that the input from the canals and your eyes don't match)- but where in the brain does this turn into nausea? It certainly can't have anything to do with the Area postrema...
Any thoughts? thanks!!
 
I searched the forums but didn't find this thread-
I was curious why specifically vestibular vertigo causes nausea and vomiting- or for that matter, seesickness. I understand what happens in the labyrinth (or in the case of seesickness, that the input from the canals and your eyes don't match)- but where in the brain does this turn into nausea? It certainly can't have anything to do with the Area postrema...
Any thoughts? thanks!!
i would that nausea arises in the brain stem; the sense organs deliver the signals, then the CNS decides what to do about them; i doubt if anyone knows the exact mechanism; i'm not a neurologist, just a GP
 
i think everything happens in the brainstem; the input comes in and the CNS decides what to do; in this case: N/V
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the help-
I just wonder why there's a connection to the brainstem?
I understand why it's helpful to toss your cookies after eating something poisonous (i.e. when the chemoreceptors in the Area postrema are activated), but "why" should you barf if you're dizzy?
 
I see, you're looking for a reason we vomit; I can only speculate: maybe the body is preparing for a catastrophe. animals vomit after eating bad food-it might save their life if the last roadkill they ate had bad bacteria; there are a lot of things the body does which we don't understand; we are a random mix of genetic mutations which happen to work well enough to propagate the species, even though some characteristics are deleterious; medicine is here to help repair nature's mistakes.
 
The neurotransmitter fluctuations involved in vestibulo-ocular reflex (such as acetylcholine, GABA, and glutamate) are also involved in emesis. This is also why some people will vomit when they're particularly nervous or upset.