pathophysiology,physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smalley

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i seem to be on the weaker side on physio an pathophysio , any tips on :thumbup: improving upon them?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

BRS Phys is mentioned frequently in this forum. However, it seems like there would be another book out there that focuses more on the pathology side of phys, rather than reviewing basic science. Anyone know a good suggestion?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if previous editions of BRS Phys are as good as the current 4th edition? My library has the 2nd edition, and I'd rather use that than buy the new one, plus I already have Costanzo's Phys textbook.

The Ridiculously simple series put out a pathophysiology book this year that has gotten alot of good reviews. I have not read it though so cannot comment on it

I skimmed through the Pathophys rid simple, and it is a bit too simple if you ask me. It is a good 'bedtime' read if anything.

BRS path is not good for pathophysiology. Pathophys for the Boards and Wards is good. I think Goljan does a pretty good job with pathophys.

If you have a good intuitive feel for the mechanisms as you learn Pathology, you shouldn't need a dedicated review book for "pathophysiology."

Pathophysiology for Boards and Wards is ok but there's not much in it you won't find in a regular path review book.

If your problem is understanding physiology, perhaps return to a larger text. Understanding these concepts is key but once you get it you shouldn't lose much of it.

Otherwise focus on understanding mechanisms as you learn/review pathology.

Just for the record, I would not recommend USMLE Roadmap Physiology to anyone. I compared the cardiovascular section to BRS Phys, and I felt BRS was clearer, added additional high yield concepts that Roadmap did not have, and in general knew what to talk about and how to say it.