Patient Counseling.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousPharmD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just need a refresher on patient counseling.........

When you recieve a script from a pt., what info. is REQ. on the script to continue to dispense (for normal meds. and controlled subs.)?

Then how do you usually proceed with the counseling??? in terms of DIs, drug allergies, how to take the med. storage, refills, etc....

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just need a refresher on patient counseling.........

When you recieve a script from a pt., what info. is REQ. on the script to continue to dispense (for normal meds. and controlled subs.)?

Then how do you usually proceed with the counseling??? in terms of DIs, drug allergies, how to take the med. storage, refills, etc....

Thanks!

I feel like you should have learned this in our law and communications courses...the three prime questions...come on now..how could you have gone through MWU without Lurvey drilling this in your brain?

Thou shalt remember to ask the 3 prime questions or lose points on your counseling sessions and critique. They are What did you doctor tell you this medication was for, how did your doctor tell you to take this medication, and what did your doctor tell you to expect?
We start with general patient profile information, than move on the three prime questions, final verification and conclusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thou shalt remember to ask the 3 prime questions or lose points on your counseling sessions and critique. They are What did you doctor tell you this medication was for, how did your doctor tell you to take this medication, and what did your doctor tell you to expect?

How many of you actually hear this at work?

not a lot, but if a patient needs counseling on their medication, it is very important to use the three prime questions as it is quick, effective, and gets you to the ultimate question.

I'm guessing from the responses on the different threads - not so much!

And....then people wonder why they can't use the clinical skills they were taught?

Not directed to anyone in particular, but to all.....does your state allow physician dispensing for profit? CA does not, but some do.

If that is the case & with the increasing push for electronic prescribing where the prescriber has no outlay of $$ for the equipment......why would he/she not dispense the first month's supply then send the rx directly to the mail order of the pts choice? It already happens in many states.

What then is the purpose of a retail pharmacist??? You can ID a drug (from another thread, btw..) on about 15 different online websites, you can get drug info from many reliable sources (WebMD, rxlist, Mayo Clinic, etc) & if you get the product from your prescriber....then you're left giving out pseudoephedrine.

Likewise....with chains experimenting with central fills & remote personless pickup areas with access to a pharmacist by phone....again - why retail???

Oh wait - it is & always was our cognitive skills. But, somehow we've gotten them lost in the product & are having an awful time getting them back to us again (which means reimbursment).

Why is that???

I guess what I was getting at was.........

Is there any resources that have general counseling points or clinical pearls on the most prescribed medications in a retail setting, on the top 200 most prescribed drugs????????

I guess what I was getting at was.........

Is there any resources that have general counseling points or clinical pearls on the most prescribed medications in a retail setting, on the top 200 most prescribed drugs????????

Are you in pharmacy school?

You do all these sorts of things (everyone and their dog does the indian health services model of "What'd your doctor tell you this was for?", etc) in practice settings with standardized patients and what-not.

What you counsel on each drug is what the patient should know or what they ask to know about, it's really not complicated.

"Be sure to unwrap the suppository before you insert it." I actually forgot that on a test consultation and lost some points. :laugh: That'll teach me to overestimate the intelligence of my patients.

"Be sure to unwrap the suppository before you insert it." I actually forgot that on a test consultation and lost some points. :laugh: That'll teach me to overestimate the intelligence of my patients.

About 15 yrs ago I was doing outdates in the ER & a pt came in with fecal impaction & rectal bleeding.

He'd spent 5 days inserting Anusol HC bid unwrapped:eek:

It didn't do much for his hemmorhoids!

One of our profs said, with regards to rectal suppositories, always say unwrap and insert. You cannot underestimate the stupidity of people. There will always be someone you will just insert it without unwrapping.

just like inserting fluconazole vaginally for yeast when it should be taken by mouth, or instilling augmentin suspension in the ears as if it was an ear drop for ear infection, and I'm basing those on true stories.. :laugh: