• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

    Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

    JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

    Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

    LEARN MORE

Patient Interaction in Pathology

Alpha Block

MSII
10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2008
4
0
0
  1. Medical Student
I am a second year medical student and am interested in Pathology. However, I think I want some (even though it may be limited) patient interaction in my chosen field. Is there ANY patient interaction as a pathologist?

Thanks for your insight!
 

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
28,059
432
616
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
  1. Attending Physician
We have plenty of threads on this - try the search function and use keywords like "patient" or "Patient contact" or whatever. Limit the search to pathology.

Basically, pathologists can do lots of FNAs (fine needle aspirations biopsies) in which they meet the patient and perform the biopsy, either in a clinic or on the floor. Can also do bone marrow biopsies. There are some pathologists, particularly those who are on the clinical path side, who interact with clinicians and end up participating in rounds, but this is more rare and usually because the pathologist wants more of it.

I would recommend not deciding this definitively until you get to third year and see how frustrating patient contact can be. For a lot of people, they find that it isn't all it's cracked up to be. 10% of the time it's great, you spend the other 90% getting yelled at by patients, their families, other clinicians, social workers, and filling out paperwork. For a lot of people that 10% is enough.
 

djmd

an Antediluvian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2001
1,515
1
0
  1. Attending Physician
I think we set up a function to automatic bump those threads (jobs, money, patient contact) every six months... it happens like clockwork.

Of course people could search for it, that would work too.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.