Patient Interaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lone Kendoka

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that pharmacists are becoming more involved in patient interactions, but it doesn't seem like anyone really explained how so in detail or which professions in pharmacy involves patient interaction and how so. I'm sorry if this may be up somewhere else in the forum or for my lack of knowledge.
 
In my undergrad program (BS Pharm Sci), all the professors have been stressing how pharmacy is moving towards more patient care. Things like anti-coagulation clinics, health screening centers for diabetes, etc., and vaccination administration are all things they are telling us. Also, I believe there was some sort of legislation in the new US Healthcare Bill that allows pharmacists to get compensation for counseling. Patient counseling is, as I've been told for the past 3 years, what pharmacists of the future will be doing the most of.

Mostly just my 2 cents and what I've been told by profs though, so take it as you will.
 
I know that pharmacists are becoming more involved in patient interactions, but it doesn't seem like anyone really explained how so in detail or which professions in pharmacy involves patient interaction and how so. I'm sorry if this may be up somewhere else in the forum or for my lack of knowledge.

Go read the Big Kids forum... you'll learn a lot there.

Dazzled is correct... clinics are where we will be doing most of our "next generation" work.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's common for the staff pharmacists at my hospital to do consults with patients before they are discharged. They also have to be present when a patient codes (but I think that's mostly due to the fact that we're a teaching hospital).