patient names in personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across a couple of threads in the pre-med forum on this, but nothing substantial emerged from those discussions. Is it okay to mention first names of patients in the personal statement without any HIPAA issues, or do you need to mention initials like JC?

Members don't see this ad.

although I don't have any experience in this matter I would imagine some PD looking negatively upon your PS if it has actual patient names on it while they would understand if you only have their initials.

Were you planning to write that you treated Britney Spears' chlamydia? JK...

I would stay away from using ANY patient names or initials!

just use PATIENT as the name, why do you need to include the actual patients name? leave it out

just use PATIENT as the name, why do you need to include the actual patients name? leave it out

Because "Patient" impedes the flow of the statement.

Look, there is nothing wrong with using the first name of the patient. If it bothers people that much, just use a fake first name and put it in quotes. At least it won't jar you out of your read by seeing the word 'patient' as the name.

"So I asked him: "Mr. Patient, how long have you been feeling this way?"

"So I asked him: "'John', how long have you been feeling this way?"

That's the problem with narrative PS. You want to draw the reader in and capture their attention. Anything that jars them back - like using 'patient' as the name, is a negative.

Christ.

Because "Patient" impedes the flow of the statement.

Look, there is nothing wrong with using the first name of the patient. If it bothers people that much, just use a fake first name and put it in quotes. At least it won't jar you out of your read by seeing the word 'patient' as the name.

"So I asked him: "Mr. Patient, how long have you been feeling this way?"

"So I asked him: "'John', how long have you been feeling this way?"

That's the problem with narrative PS. You want to draw the reader in and capture their attention. Anything that jars them back - like using 'patient' as the name, is a negative.

Christ.

I completely agree with the above. The whole reason you are putting in a patient experience is to make it personable. Mr Patient...seriously. For that matter, unless it is a good initial like JC or DJ which people commonly abbreviate, it too impersonal as well. "I remember YZ.....".

But I do agree that using initials wouldnt be so bad and I agree with the second poster as well if someone is really hesitant.

I would like someone who routinely sees applications to comment on this as well please. aProgDirector, can you finish off this topic once and for all? :)

Thanks.

This is a "WAN" issue.

WAN =
Worried
About
Nothing

Initials are fine.

Honestly, why are you putting a patient story in your personal statement anyway? Everyone seems to do it. Pretty pointless if you ask me.

I just referred to the patient in my personal statement as "Mr. S." I think that sounds closest to saying his actual name without just calling him "Patient" over and over.

I definitely wouldn't use his real name. :laugh: