Patient Simulation Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmilKraepelin55

Psychiatry PGY-2
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMS1 here. So I have noticed that I have issues thinking on my feet in a group situation, such as in patient simulations. I’ve only done two so far, but I feel like I contribute minimally. I do very well on my exams (great in basic sciences, respectably on clinicals), but I feel like I am more clueless than my classmates during simulations even when it’s focused on a subject I feel like I understand fairly well. Perhaps it’s prioritizing the issues before me? I tend to be pretty decent at doing something clinical whenever it’s very methodical, but I just don’t know. Has anyone further along in this process experienced this before? This feeling of cluelessness when your classmates seem so much more knowledgeable than you? I don’t have an issue with the fact that others can know more than me, but I fear that I fall behind my peers in perhaps the soft skills utilized in group exercises. I am good one on one, but really falter in groups. But I suppose it shouldn’t be a surprise to me anyway, because I have been known to struggle with social anxiety. This anxiety has gotten better since the beginning of school, but it’s still there and I think it really hinders me from thinking on my feet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel you bro, same here. I'm curious about what advice people will give, so I am tagging along.

Reactions: 1 user
Do good on step and worrry about talking to people third year

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This feeling of cluelessness when your classmates seem so much more knowledgeable than you?
During 1st year some people with a real health care background (nursing, paramedic, PA) might have a leg up in clinical scenarios. Or they have personal experience with a specific disease or drug etc.

Wouldn't worry about feeling clueless. The rest of your 1st year classmates probably feel the same way but are better at hiding it. Or good lord forbid they are too ignorant to realize how much they don't know.

When 2nd year rolls around you will catch up. Focus being your best self and the rest will fall into place.

You’re definitely not the only one in your class that feels this way. Book work and exams should come easy, you spent undergrad preparing for those things. Clinical work is a whole new animal. Try not to get discouraged and keep working at it. Trust me, the knowledge will come to you eventually. Also try not to compare yourself to classmates who seem to “get it”. Instead learn from the ones who have clinical experience and use them as a resource.

Reactions: 1 user
Alot of DO clinical faculty like to use the clinical aspect of medicine to kind of put down 'uppity' students. Its a flex. Don't worry about it, you will pick that up in no time on third year. Let your clinical instructors/preceptors get that ego rush, and move along.

Reactions: 1 users