Patients confronted with PDMP data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Detter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I left retail a few years ago before many states built user-searchable PDMP databases. Therefore, if you suspected abuse, you had to use a hodgepodge of information from various sources to figure out if patients were filling early or if they were doctor/pharmacy shopping. I've seen many situations where there was a suspicion of misuse, but a script was filled anyway because the pharmacy didn't have evidence to back up their suspicion.

I'm just wondering out of curiosity what the patient experience is like now when we have PDMP data readily available? Has anyone confronted a patient's lies with PDMP data and what was their reaction? Also for patients who still try to fight you despite the data, what type of BS excuses are they trying to come up with now?

Members don't see this ad.

I left retail a few years ago before many states built user-searchable PDMP databases. Therefore, if you suspected abuse, you had to use a hodgepodge of information from various sources to figure out if patients were filling early or if they were doctor/pharmacy shopping. I've seen many situations where there was a suspicion of misuse, but a script was filled anyway because the pharmacy didn't have evidence to back up their suspicion.

I'm just wondering out of curiosity what the patient experience is like now when we have PDMP data readily available? Has anyone confronted a patient's lies with PDMP data and what was their reaction? Also for patients who still try to fight you despite the data, what type of BS excuses are they trying to come up with now?

I had one case where patient wanted to pick up c2 from us (CVS), but they had recently gotten it filled at Walgreens, and weren't due for fill yet; wasn't super-early, but couple days. I told him about it, he got upset because he thought the Walgreens rph had given me wrong info (even though I never actually spoke to him). Threatened to "put me on the stand". Almost broke my little heart :laugh:

But in all seriousness, most patients (in my area) are understanding, and aware that it's early, and/or that we gotta call doctor to verify early release and whatnot. Just act professional and non-judgmental, give them the facts, let them know their options.

The fun ones know they are skipping their regular pharmacy to try to pull a fast one on you, especially when it's a narc script from a totally different doctor when they get the same **** from their PCP, and then they fake anger and consternation when you call them out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ye

Yeah I've learned to not tell them if they ask why tell them serious drug interaction with similar med they just picked up.

Step 1.) Call them over to counseling
Step 2.) Tell them you are not going to fill it
Step 3.) Tell them it's too early
Step 4.) After they lie, say, " you got this on __/__/____, for XX day supply. You don't think that is too soon?"
Step 5.) Bask in their confusion until they remember their #1 go-to response in life: if you don't get what you want, become unreasonable and angry.

Step 6.) Make extremely vague references to the DEA and mention that you can see all of their records.
Tell them they will never receive any controls at the pharmacy, ever.
*poof* goes the GOMP.

Reactions: 1 users
Forget PDMP, I’ve had patients argue with me when I confront them with our own computer record. C2 was filled on 3/5, sold on 3/8, but the bottle only shows the fill date, and they would argue that’s when they picked it up.

I once had someone who had gotten a Norco rx from a dentist and when I ran PDMP I found out he was on Suboxone. So I called the dentist and asked if they were aware and they said change it to ibuprofen. I confronted the patient about being on Suboxone and told him the doctor changed the rx. He never came back to pick up the ibuprofen.

Reactions: 1 user
Eh, if people argue that they didn't get a med at another pharmacy, I tell them they will have to take it up with that pharmacy. That There Is Nothing I Can Do. If they argue that they didn't get a med on a certain date on our pharmacy, I tell them the computer records are what they are and That There Is Nothing I Can Do. Always use the "broken record" technique and keep repeating the same phrase. They won't like it, but they will understand that you aren't going to fill their medication.