Pattern Folding Help Please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maria07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im so frustrated I just cant seem to get this section! How do you figure out what the object looks like and do it a reasonable timeframe? I got all the Kaplan tips where you look for unique shape or shading, but I still cant seem to do it. Do you guys have any other tips?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would try cutting out certain popular shapes, like the boxes with different marks on them. Look at all the ways a box can be opened up on paper and that may be able to help you with patterns, etc.

That is just my 2 cents

Pattern folding is by far my worst PAT area. Sometimes I can make little or no headway in ruling out answers. I rely on doing well in the other sections and this gets me 20+ but if I screwed the angles during the actual test, as many seem to do, then I am outta luck. Top end is challenging too. I would be interested in any tips on pattern folding.

Maria07 said:
Im so frustrated I just cant seem to get this section! How do you figure out what the object looks like and do it a reasonable timeframe? I got all the Kaplan tips where you look for unique shape or shading, but I still cant seem to do it. Do you guys have any other tips?

Thanks

Cut the layouts of pat foding that comes with Kaplan book to see how the sides are lined up when you fold into the paper.

This might be really obvious, and it's not something I can teach...just point out. Some of the pattern folding problems will have a very unique shape to one side that is a complete side, and doesn't get folded. in those problems, it's easy to find that unique shape in one of the answers.

Also, a lot of times for cubes with 3 diffent marked sides, it's good to very quickly draw the cube from two different angles and then look.