transitioning19230
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Recent grad in clinical. Interviewed at a few AMC's and all followed a pay parity model, where every new hire makes the same amount of money. My attempts at negotiation went nowhere including with legal counsel advising. I found this frustrating as I went to a well regarded school, have great training, strong recommendations that speak favorably to my skillset, and research productivity. One of the recruiters made a comment about how I should remember that I will be surrounded by "esteemed" colleagues (ivy) to justify the salary which really did not sit well with me.
I ended up interviewing at a few private practices where I was able to negotiate. One place even stated they normally start at x but given my credentials were willing to offer a higher base rate. I ended up accepting that offer. Pay is substantially better but it's not what I envisioned for my career and I am having mixed thoughts about this decision as I miss research and teaching. Curious to hear from others - is this the model everywhere these days? I spoke to a few classmates and about half had a similar experience with negotiations.
I ended up interviewing at a few private practices where I was able to negotiate. One place even stated they normally start at x but given my credentials were willing to offer a higher base rate. I ended up accepting that offer. Pay is substantially better but it's not what I envisioned for my career and I am having mixed thoughts about this decision as I miss research and teaching. Curious to hear from others - is this the model everywhere these days? I spoke to a few classmates and about half had a similar experience with negotiations.