PAYE Re-certification Timing vs Filing Income Tax

Started by nycsurfer
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nycsurfer

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Looking for some thoughts on this...

Background: In 2017, I completed my first full year of working. My 2016 tax return is about 35k AGI (1/2 PGY1 salary). My 2017 tax return will likely be about 69K AGI (Full year PGY1/PGY2 salary). This would make my payment go from 60 or so to 350 per month. I'm not due to re-certify until March/April and I'm going for PSLF (14 confirmed payments so far).

The questions on the form ask about "When I filed my last federal income tax return" (with-in 2 years) and please submit "most recent" return. If I file for a tax extension on my 2017 taxes, can I then use the 2016 return to re-certify? Thus allowing me to keep a 65 dollar per month payment for an additional year? Technically my month to month income didn't change but my AGI did. They didn't ask for documentation when my salary went from 0 to 39K, either.