Paying for post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the options?

Can you get federal funds if you haven't reached the max?

Anyone know the max?

Looking for ways to pay and secrets for those before me ...

Members don't see this ad.

I saved.........

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey msh, are you doing a formal or informal program? To my knowledge, you can't get federal funds if you're not part of an 'offical' degree program. Fortunately, post-bacc certificate programs count and will allow you to get federal funds

sidewalkman said:
Hey msh, are you doing a formal or informal program? To my knowledge, you can't get federal funds if you're not part of an 'offical' degree program. Fortunately, post-bacc certificate programs count and will allow you to get federal funds
answer i was looking for ...

considering the harvard program or penn ... :thumbup: :D :D so they count?

Harvard and Penn count depending on which program you're in. Harvard and Penn both have the formal post-bacc pre-med programs, which you have to apply and be admitted to, and where you get a dinky certificate at the end. Those count as degree programs, so you get federal money. If you just sign up for the classes, even if you're a FT student, you're not eligible for federal money.

Sorry if I pretty much repeated what I said earlier :p , but the difference is there.

Oh, another thing on paying for post-bacc. If you're considering Harvard, their tuition assistance for workers is sweeeet! :thumbup: Free classes after just 3 months of PT service! Penn, though, is comparitively stingy with their free classes. Can anyone comment on this?

thanksdave ... finally found was I was looking forfrom the penn site .. http://www.sas.upenn.edu/CGS/postbac/premed/faq.php

"Financial Aid
What financial aid am I eligible for, and for how long?
Students in the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Health and Special Science Programs are eligible for Federal Stafford Loans. Students must be registered at least half-time (two course units) for each semester of attendance. In summer, one course unit is considered half-time. The loan amounts for dependent and independent students are available on the Student Financial Services website (www.sfs.upenn.edu/home/ click on Penn Plan then Post-Baccalaureate). The parents of dependent students may apply for a PLUS loan. Optional loans such as the Penn CitiAssist Program may also be available. Students are eligible for one year only. (what is up with that?)
Am I eligible for financial assistance if I am a part-time student?
Yes, but you must be enrolled at least half time, i.e. a minimum of two course units per semester or one course unit for the summer sessions.
The Financial Aid forms I'm filling out ask for my degree status; what is that?
Your status is "non-degree candidate.""

I did a Master's at BU to aid my application since i'm non-trad. I took out the max I could in federal loans, but that still left me 10k shy of tuition cost. Living expenses + remaining tuition cost was covered by private student loans (i went through citibank). Total, I ended up taking ~$40k in federal + private loans (approx. 25k tuition + 15k living).

Bear in mind that most schools have an approved "budget" that lenders require you to submit to them before you can get a student loan. This means that you can't borrow more at the special 'student loan rate' than what the schools deems is reasonable for living and tuition. At BU, they allotted 1000 per month for rent and food and all utilities (they do not consider internet access or cell phone to be "necessities", thus these are not factored into the approved monthly budget). I ended up dipping into my savings account every month to make ends meet. At the end of the school year, i'd halved my savings account. Turns out to be a pretty expensive venture, especially if you're giving up a career (you could technically factor in your lost salary as "opportunity cost). And to think - after all this, you're not even assured admission into med school! Whee!

edit: i think the federal max per year falls between $15k and $20k. For some reason, $18k sticks in my mind.

Thanks light!

For undergrad I thought there was a total max you could take out? Anyone aware of this? I am planning on using fed funds and work study to pay the rent .. :)

I am starting Harvard's diploma program this summer and here's the skinny on how finaid works there (straight from Harvard's office). The max you can get is $5250 in federal aid (stafford) per term for 12 consecutive months...there are three terms per year. Unfortunately, the HCP program suggests that most students do the program over 24 months which leaves you in kind of a bind.

I am planning on chem 1&2 this coming summer, then taking bio, orgo and physics in both the fall and spring with the MCATs in april. In that way, I should be able to get all tuition and books paid with stafford loans within the 12 month limit (summer course is $4k, fall and spring classes are $800 each, or $2400 for the semester). I'll end up taking out other loans for living as I'm leaving my job in order to do the program.

MSH, there is a limit on federal education loans. It depends on whether you are considered "independent" and your year in school (from frosh through grad/professional school). However, once you begin a post-bacc program you are considered a "5th year" undergrad as you are not a traditional u-grad or a grad student yet...hence the $5250/term for 12 months only.

The limit on total federal loans is fairly high though if you're independent (no one can claim you as a dep)...I want to say it's like $70k or something...if you're not independent it's lower...like $40k (I think I learned this at fafsa.gov or the Umass finaid office). When I learned about the limits, I was really happy I had gone to UMass where tuition was a couple grand a year as opposed to one of a million small exhorbitant (say, rip-off) private schools.

Check out fafsa or your local college finaid office about federal limits.

Ockham...hope everyone had a good holiday!

ockhamsRzr said:
I am starting Harvard's diploma program this summer and here's the skinny on how finaid works there (straight from Harvard's office). The max you can get is $5250 in federal aid (stafford) per term for 12 consecutive months...there are three terms per year. Unfortunately, the HCP program suggests that most students do the program over 24 months which leaves you in kind of a bind.

I am planning on chem 1&2 this coming summer, then taking bio, orgo and physics in both the fall and spring with the MCATs in april. In that way, I should be able to get all tuition and books paid with stafford loans within the 12 month limit (summer course is $4k, fall and spring classes are $800 each, or $2400 for the semester). I'll end up taking out other loans for living as I'm leaving my job in order to do the program.

MSH, there is a limit on federal education loans. It depends on whether you are considered "independent" and your year in school (from frosh through grad/professional school). However, once you begin a post-bacc program you are considered a "5th year" undergrad as you are not a traditional u-grad or a grad student yet...hence the $5250/term for 12 months only.

The limit on total federal loans is fairly high though if you're independent (no one can claim you as a dep)...I want to say it's like $70k or something...if you're not independent it's lower...like $40k (I think I learned this at fafsa.gov or the Umass finaid office). When I learned about the limits, I was really happy I had gone to UMass where tuition was a couple grand a year as opposed to one of a million small exhorbitant (say, rip-off) private schools.

Check out fafsa or your local college finaid office about federal limits.

Ockham...hope everyone had a good holiday!

Ock - you rock as usual ... so another question ... What about this "12 month only thing" ... my question is this ... I am going for my pre-reqs ... then considering doing a post-bacc science program. Will I be able to get funds for both? Or is post bacc for only 1 year (for financial aid). I read on harvard's site you can only get for one year? Any ideas? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Mushy

Hey Mush (wow, you look a lot like Sydney Bristo :D )

Good question. I think if the special science program is considered a masters degree, then your limit and financial aid eligibility go up. If you're considering Penn, you should probably ask them directly (if I were in philly I'd do penn in a second...but I live in Boston so Harvard is it for me).

Do you really think you *need* to do a special science program after (assuming) you rock your pre-reqs? If you do Harvard, and still want to do a special science masters, then BU (I think it's called GMS) might be a good choice...that program also has linkage to BU's med school. BU is a choice of mine for med school as it would be a bike ride away and with 2 baby boys, a wife (with great job) and a mortgage, I won't have the flexibility of others who can relo anywhere in order to get into med school...I say prayers to UMass Med school every night.

Let me kow what you find out...are you thinking about Harvard HCP? If so, when?

Ockham

ockhamsRzr said:
Hey Mush (wow, you look a lot like Sydney Bristo :D )

Good question. I think if the special science program is considered a masters degree, then your limit and financial aid eligibility go up. If you're considering Penn, you should probably ask them directly (if I were in philly I'd do penn in a second...but I live in Boston so Harvard is it for me).
Do you really think you *need* to do a special science program after (assuming) you rock your pre-reqs? If you do Harvard, and still want to do a special science masters, then BU (I think it's called GMS) might be a good choice...that program also has linkage to BU's med school. BU is a choice of mine for med school as it would be a bike ride away and with 2 baby boys, a wife (with great job) and a mortgage, I won't have the flexibility of others who can relo anywhere in order to get into med school...I say prayers to UMass Med school every night.

Let me kow what you find out...are you thinking about Harvard HCP? If so, when?

Ockham

Ock-

Well harvard would be this summer ... but like you ... Penn works for me as I'm 20 mins from campus, don't have to relocate. That is what my mom was on me for ... if I go to boston, even though I think it might be better opportunities because of the linking health systems ... and I'd LOVE to be in boston ... it would be more expensive for me and I'd have to relocate knowing NOONE except my cousin who's at northeastern, plus its more expensive ...so ... Penn it will be for me! Luckily, i'm unattached so its just me, but financially I can't be sinking myself here ... I'd like to stay self-sufficient and not worry the rents b/c they can't help me out financially anyway.

I'm concerned with financial aid because I can't afford this on my own and I'm really concerned due to my HORRID undergrad GPA and decent MBA grades that taking my 8 classes won't boost my GPA to help me get in ... even though my other science classes are like 6 yrs old :( (gen chem) ... so I'm kind of torn on what to do in that regard. I'd like to take classes while I'm applying anyways, but I'm thinking either taking just higher level at Penn or doing a "real" program (ie BU's, or any of the other SMP's out there) but I have to make sure funds are there :( My other alternative is getting a fulltime job at Penn/Chop - getting THEM to pay for my classes then saving financial aid for SMP (if I can't only get financial aid for post-bacc ... not prereqs AND post bacc) ... that would put me out like 2 years though and an additional year or two from applying. As of right now I'm not applying till 2007 :(

the total lifetime stafford loan limit is over 100k. i feel like it's in the mid 100k's for some reason. There's absolutely no way it's 40k (because I already have more than that in stafford loans).

mush: I work at CHOP right now. I think you have to work there for a certain amount of time before you get tuition reimbursement. Even then, I don't think the classes are free. Just discounted.

lightnk102 said:
mush: I work at CHOP right now. I think you have to work there for a certain amount of time before you get tuition reimbursement. Even then, I don't think the classes are free. Just discounted.
Thank light

:( there goes that idea :( ALthough i have a friend who works at chop... classes are paid for. Know any good jobs for me :laugh:

I think that Stafford loans have a max of 130 something thousand for regular grad school but 180 something thousand for med school.
I was wondering if anyone knows whether if someone who has reached their loan max because they went to grad school can still get a Stafford loan if it is going to be used for a postbacc premed program.

You should just do an informal post bac at your state university and save some money. That's what I did.

mshheaddoc said:
Ock-

Well harvard would be this summer ... but like you ... Penn works for me as I'm 20 mins from campus, don't have to relocate. That is what my mom was on me for ... if I go to boston, even though I think it might be better opportunities because of the linking health systems ... and I'd LOVE to be in boston ... it would be more expensive for me and I'd have to relocate knowing NOONE except my cousin who's at northeastern, plus its more expensive ...so ... Penn it will be for me! Luckily, i'm unattached so its just me, but financially I can't be sinking myself here ... I'd like to stay self-sufficient and not worry the rents b/c they can't help me out financially anyway.

I'm concerned with financial aid because I can't afford this on my own and I'm really concerned due to my HORRID undergrad GPA and decent MBA grades that taking my 8 classes won't boost my GPA to help me get in ... even though my other science classes are like 6 yrs old :( (gen chem) ... so I'm kind of torn on what to do in that regard. I'd like to take classes while I'm applying anyways, but I'm thinking either taking just higher level at Penn or doing a "real" program (ie BU's, or any of the other SMP's out there) but I have to make sure funds are there :( My other alternative is getting a fulltime job at Penn/Chop - getting THEM to pay for my classes then saving financial aid for SMP (if I can't only get financial aid for post-bacc ... not prereqs AND post bacc) ... that would put me out like 2 years though and an additional year or two from applying. As of right now I'm not applying till 2007 :(

Hello mshheaddoc:

After reading your background it seems like we're in the same boat...attempted pre-med undergrad but due to personal challenges had sucky grades...just finished my MBA summer of '03 and have decided to give my med school ambitions a fresh try...currently work for UNC- Chapel Hill and technically can get classes paid for, but I need all the pre-med sciences and will take too long...am thinking along your lines of starting this summer in a postbacc program but will let the least-taxing financial scenario determine where I end up and how...

Right now I am leaning toward Columbia's postbacc program but need to continue getting the skinny on financial aid...I will be more than happy to share with you what I find about this and other financial scenarios and would be grateful if you can do the same...two minds think better than one, I guess?

Much grace to you (too many sad faces in your response!) as you pan out the options and I'll keep in touch through these forums...

:luck: Dr. MBA

I'm planning on attending San Francisco State University's postbacc after I graduate from UCLA in two years, and am just planning in advance. What do you guys know about paying for the two year postbacc at SFSU? I am 26 y.o. and considered independent, and I was wondering if I should work for two years after graduation to save money for the postbacc and med school applications, or just go directly to SFSU and work while going to school there. I don't even know if SFSU's program is considered to be a formal program---I think it's not, but could someone confirm? Is there anyone else here at SFSU's postbacc and could offer any insight as to how they are paying for it? Thanks so much! :)

synapses5317 said:
I'm planning on attending San Francisco State University's postbacc after I graduate from UCLA in two years, and am just planning in advance. What do you guys know about paying for the two year postbacc at SFSU? I am 26 y.o. and considered independent, and I was wondering if I should work for two years after graduation to save money for the postbacc and med school applications, or just go directly to SFSU and work while going to school there. I don't even know if SFSU's program is considered to be a formal program---I think it's not, but could someone confirm? Is there anyone else here at SFSU's postbacc and could offer any insight as to how they are paying for it? Thanks so much! :)

Hi there,

I just graduated from state's post-bacc this past May and now am in med school. It is not a formal program, with VERY little guidance. If you're looking for more support, USC has a much better program. If I could do it all over again I would have borrowed more $ and either gone to USC or Mills' post-bacc programs. But that is just me - one person out of twenty - I a bit fussy and like a little extra attention. ;)

Here's the list of people who got in from the program ... they all did well.

userwww.sfsu.edu/~postbac/

If you go to State and apply early for FA, you should get a grant to cover your tuition. I borrowed the max amt. every year ($10K), sold my car and worked in the ER at UCSF which paid $16/hr, ($18-22 hr evening/night) as a unit secretary.

If you have time now, go to the UCLA center for pre-hospital care and get your EMT (3 weeks/$500 or so) and you can work as a patient care assistant which is much much better than unit secretary. It pays the same as well. I got my EMT there and they are GREAT!!!

good luck!!

Kay

Same boat here here.

Graduating with a MBA in a few months while applying currently to a local postbacc program.

A little depressed that I might be going to school for five more years to earn lower than what I'm currently making. Well, you can't price out your dreams.

I've managed to work while going to school so I've at least paid off all my consumer debt. Consumer debt is the worst thing you can have when looking for loans. I'm debating whether to work part-time during my post-bacc so I can save some money.