Paying two deposits at different programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinesrocks

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I currently have accepted and paid my deposit for one program and just got accepted into a second program. The deadline to accept the second program is next week. I'm having trouble deciding between the two and would like just a little more time to decide and weigh my options. Is it possible to pay the deposit for the second program as well, to give me more time to decide between the two programs? Or if I accept and pay a deposit at a program, I have to withdraw my acceptance immediately at the first program? (just wondering if PTCAS shows this information and other schools can see or something)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe you can place multiple deposits. I would take some time but not a ton deciding. The primary purpose is so they can get back to those biting their nails anxiously as soon as possible! Congratulations on your acceptances! :)

You can definitely put down two deposits. I did it and many people do it each year. You can also try asking the second school if they'll give you a little extra time to decide. Worst case, they say no and you put down two deposits.

Hi everyone,

I currently have accepted and paid my deposit for one program and just got accepted into a second program. The deadline to accept the second program is next week. I'm having trouble deciding between the two and would like just a little more time to decide and weigh my options. Is it possible to pay the deposit for the second program as well, to give me more time to decide between the two programs? Or if I accept and pay a deposit at a program, I have to withdraw my acceptance immediately at the first program? (just wondering if PTCAS shows this information and other schools can see or something)

Thank you!
Just know you won't get that money back. And try to not take too long to decide - one of those seats will go to someone else anxiously awaiting to hear and try to make a decision. Congrats, it's a good problem to have

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what you should know:
The traffic rules say:
"6. Applicants holding multiple acceptances are expected to immediately withdraw their application from those programs they are no longer considering attending."

Also:
"Programs will notify applicants directly regarding all admission decisions. Any PTCAS program that offers you acceptance will have access to the number of acceptance offers you have received from other programs and the number of other offers you accepted. Programs will not know the total number of programs you applied to, nor admissions decisions other than acceptance made by other programs at that time. A program that has placed an applicant on a wait-list will not have access to that applicant's admission status at other institutions. After the completion of the 2018–19 admissions cycle in fall 2019, programs then will be able to view applicants' other selected programs and the final admission decision reported by each."

This means that a program that finds out that you paid more than one deposit has the right to withdraw their offer.

I have no evidence that this has ever happened, but each school will be notified that you have accepted more than one offer.

Ask the second school for an extension on the deposit deadline. I’ve seen others from this website that have done that and have been granted more time