Payless LTC Pharmacy/Wal Mart interning experiences?

Started by sisson329
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sisson329

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just curious if anyone has any imput on these at all? I have the opportunity to intern at both of these places and I'm trying to figure out which I should be going for. Plus I'd like to hear some general experiences with them anyways.

I'm a first year student, but I'm ambitious, and I'm getting my MBA/Pharm D. dual degree. I would eventually like to own my own LTC pharmacy so I'm leaning towards Payless. Anyways, thanks in advance guys!
 
I can tell you my experience in WalMart but it wont really help you much I am afraid. The experience is highly dictated by your manager and your patient base. I had a ok manager who expected me to work 700 hours a week. I worked in a real nice area so the patients were not that much pain in the butt. Walmart gives you very competitive pay as an intern and a pharmacist. You get amazing insurance real cheap. Vacation and personal hours are decent. MBA is an asset, I am sure you can move up the chains with that. I will caution you that I know people with MBA/PharmD who never worked to move up the corporate ladder. Well just my 2c regarding WalMart.
 
Thank you Hermetic I appreciate the reply! I am definitely curious on wages, and it sounds like they don't have a structured intern program then like a lot of the places I looked at. That does help 🙂
 
I work for Walmart and I really don't see much opportunity for upward mobility. Above the PIC, there are about a million layers of management and none of them are pharmacists. In my area, I'm not aware of any pharmacists who have risen higher than PIC.