Payment method for UNLV secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you really are suppose to use a "cashier's check" or "money order" when paying the $50 application fee for UNLV's secondary application.

I think it's absurd for me to go to the bank, pay an $8 processing fee for a cashier's check, and make a cashier's check for the application.

I called UNLV's dental school office today, left a message, but nobody returned my call.

Gee, why do they have to make it hard on us. I don't want to simply send them a personal check, as they think I can't follow directions, and they may not admit me due to that fact. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

If you think $8 is ridiculous...wait til you get your first year's tuition bill

ArmoredTooth said:
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you really are suppose to use a "cashier's check" or "money order" when paying the $50 application fee for UNLV's secondary application.

I think it's absurd for me to go to the bank, pay an $8 processing fee for a cashier's check, and make a cashier's check for the application.

I called UNLV's dental school office today, left a message, but nobody returned my call.

Gee, why do they have to make it hard on us. I don't want to simply send them a personal check, as they think I can't follow directions, and they may not admit me due to that fact. :laugh:

$8 for a cashier's check? Are you sure? I went to my bank and they gave me one for free. You should double check. Anyway $8 is pennies in a bucket for what you are going to spend by the time this whole process is over. Just pay the $8 and get your application file complete so you can become a dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just go to the post office and get a money order. It should be just 95 cents. :D

That is true..just go to your bank and ask for a money order from your account. That would be fine. But I did send them a personal check last year (December 05) and it seemed to be fine. Did they change the requirements or what?

Actually I sent a personal check (didn't realize i wasn't supposed to until i saw this thread) but they cashed the check a couple of weeks ago.

thehipster said:
Actually I sent a personal check (didn't realize i wasn't supposed to until i saw this thread) but they cashed the check a couple of weeks ago.

Okay, I guess I'm good to go on sending them a personal check.

----

On the other hand guys, I think it's ridiculous to spend $8 from my checking account to make a $50 cashier's check. I guess UNLV wrote that policy on their secondary because some applicants in the past have sent checks that bounced. Think about it, if you send them a money order or a cashier's check, there's at least assurance that there's value.

Nevertheless, somebody from the admissions office called me back this morning.

:thumbup:

Many programs require payment other than a personal check to assure that the payment won't bounce. That's not outrageous nor is it anything new. As was mentioned, banks offer this service for free if you have an account with them. The post office is $1 for this service as well.

Well today I went to Bank of America....and they said $6 for the cashier check...they wanted me to pay them $6 for my own money...i do have account with them too...

Best thing like someone said go to Post Office thats what i did....it was 95cents a money order.....money order r also available at Seven Eleven....at cheaper price I heard...but I didnt want to drive to 7/11 it was a hot day....