Payment method for UNLV secondary

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ArmoredTooth, Jul 27, 2006.

1. ArmoredTooth

ArmoredTooth Senior Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you really are suppose to use a "cashier's check" or "money order" when paying the $50 application fee for UNLV's secondary application.

I think it's absurd for me to go to the bank, pay an $8 processing fee for a cashier's check, and make a cashier's check for the application.

I called UNLV's dental school office today, left a message, but nobody returned my call.

Gee, why do they have to make it hard on us. I don't want to simply send them a personal check, as they think I can't follow directions, and they may not admit me due to that fact. :laugh:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member

Dentist
    If you think $8 is ridiculous...wait til you get your first year's tuition bill

4. utahdent123

utahdent123 Senior Member

$8 for a cashier's check? Are you sure? I went to my bank and they gave me one for free. You should double check. Anyway $8 is pennies in a bucket for what you are going to spend by the time this whole process is over. Just pay the $8 and get your application file complete so you can become a dentist.

5. Gauch08

Gauch08 New Member

Pre-Dental
    Just go to the post office and get a money order. It should be just 95 cents. :D

6. tinman831

tinman831 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Administrator Dentist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Dentist
    If you go to the bank and get a cashiers check using funds from your account there, they will give it to you for free.

7. mahya

mahya Deeply Motivated Dreamer

Dental Student
    That is true..just go to your bank and ask for a money order from your account. That would be fine. But I did send them a personal check last year (December 05) and it seemed to be fine. Did they change the requirements or what?

8. thehipster

thehipster Senior Member

Dental Student
    Actually I sent a personal check (didn't realize i wasn't supposed to until i saw this thread) but they cashed the check a couple of weeks ago.

9. ArmoredTooth

ArmoredTooth Senior Member

Pre-Dental
    Okay, I guess I'm good to go on sending them a personal check.

----

On the other hand guys, I think it's ridiculous to spend $8 from my checking account to make a $50 cashier's check. I guess UNLV wrote that policy on their secondary because some applicants in the past have sent checks that bounced. Think about it, if you send them a money order or a cashier's check, there's at least assurance that there's value.

Nevertheless, somebody from the admissions office called me back this morning.

:thumbup:

10. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    Many programs require payment other than a personal check to assure that the payment won't bounce. That's not outrageous nor is it anything new. As was mentioned, banks offer this service for free if you have an account with them. The post office is $1 for this service as well.

11. future_dentist

Pre-Dental
    Well today I went to Bank of America....and they said $6 for the cashier check...they wanted me to pay them $6 for my own money...i do have account with them too...

Best thing like someone said go to Post Office thats what i did....it was 95cents a money order.....money order r also available at Seven Eleven....at cheaper price I heard...but I didnt want to drive to 7/11 it was a hot day....

12. geometric-pain

Dental Student
    Walmart for 25 cents!!