PBL at CASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistBunaHay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much PBL will be put into the curriculum. I know that it's not a full hardcore PBL curriculum cuz' it says on their site that traditional letures will still take place. Has anyone asked them or asked them at their interviews? Any info will help because I'm really trying to decide if i should goto a school that has full PBL. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

no, it's not full PBL. for what its worth, they're mixing it in with traditional lectures, in hopes that students will be less bombarded by dull facts and information. however, they do need to prepare the students for the boards, so traditional lectures are necessary.

i really like the curriculum that case has to offer, compared to some other schools like boston where the first 2 years you'll be in for a long hellish ride where you'll be taking like 10 sciences in one semester.

if you can learn the same thing with less stress, that's a winner in my book.

but i'm still going to the boston and tufts interview because i like boston better than cleveland :D

DentistBunaHay said:
Does anyone know how much PBL will be put into the curriculum. I know that it's not a full hardcore PBL curriculum cuz' it says on their site that traditional letures will still take place. Has anyone asked them or asked them at their interviews? Any info will help because I'm really trying to decide if i should goto a school that has full PBL. THANKS!

Just curious, what is PBL? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
pbl=problem based learning

utahdent123 said:
Just curious, what is PBL? Thanks

PBL stands for Problem Based Learning. Instead of lectures/exam format, they have small-group learning system where professors give groups of students projects to work on. Each member of a group goes home and does extensive research on their topic, learn it themselves, come back and share their knowledge with the rest of the class via presentation for discussion, etc etc.

PROs: PBL is less cutthroat compared to traditional lecture/exam routines. You have waaaaay more spare time to do whatever you feel like doing.

CONs: You have waaaaay more spare time to do whatever you feel like doing. If you are one of those people that don't work unless told to, you wont appreciate PBL. You would think, why am I paying all this money to teach myself?

polarnut said:
PBL stands for Problem Based Learning. Instead of lectures/exam format, they have small-group learning system where professors give groups of students projects to work on. Each member of a group goes home and does extensive research on their topic, learn it themselves, come back and share their knowledge with the rest of the class via presentation for discussion, etc etc.

PROs: PBL is less cutthroat compared to traditional lecture/exam routines. You have waaaaay more spare time to do whatever you feel like doing.

CONs: You have waaaaay more spare time to do whatever you feel like doing. If you are one of those people that don't work unless told to, you wont appreciate PBL. You would think, why am I paying all this money to teach myself?

thanks polarnut for the info, how did you get this? Did you call them to find out? If yes, who did you call? I was trying to figure out who to ask but I couldn't find the right person in their directory. Thanks.
Has anyone else heard anything about the curriculum changes?

It's weird cause on my interview Dr. Tim (the biochem prof) told me they were gonna go full PBL...I sent one of the ppl an email concerning this so I'll let you know what they say when they reply.

Thanks puncho.. i'd really appreciate it.