PBL @ SLU and UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bokermmk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if SLU or UIC have any forms of PBL in their curriculum. I cant remember if they told us anything at the interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by bokermmk
Does anyone know if SLU or UIC have any forms of PBL in their curriculum. I cant remember if they told us anything at the interviews.

UIC is very traditional. There would be very little PBL there. They heavily emphasized this point when I interviewed as if it would help sell the school. They then go onto say that PBL hasn't proved helpful on the USMLE and that their students do better than schools that have PBL but I interviewed at a school that has almost no lectures at all and mostly PBL and they said the exact opposite. I don't think either school has any valid proof that other schools' students do more poorly. It's just a sales pitch.

Most medical schools are a hybrid of traditional lectures and PBL. Here, SLU no exception. It's not that bad though sometimes PBL in general for any school is hard to facilitate and plan for certain topics. It can be inefficient. Nevertheless, there should be no reason in having a difficult time in working with your peers on projects. That type of comraderie (sp?) is necessary on wards come your third year.

In a nutshell, the PBL here at SLU isn't too bad and is minimal. I think I'd go crazy if it was 100% traditional lectures. It's nice to get out once in awhile out of the classrooms.