PBM Problem Based Learning?

Started by grandpa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

grandpa

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any helpful hints on how to succeed in a problem based learning (PBM) cirriculum?
 
grandpa said:
Any helpful hints on how to succeed in a problem based learning (PBM) cirriculum?



it wont work in dentistry.

no way.
 
PBL was by far the biggest waste of time in dental school that I experienced...well, that and perio. Thankfully our experience was minimal with most of our instruction given the old fashioned, tried and true lecture/reading format.

Much like education as a whole, we keep trying to come up with newer and better ways of teaching, when if they'd just keep things constant for a while, a pattern of success might develop.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bitecys said:
PBL was by far the biggest waste of time in dental school that I experienced...well, that and perio. Thankfully our experience was minimal with most of our instruction given the old fashioned, tried and true lecture/reading format.

Much like education as a whole, we keep trying to come up with newer and better ways of teaching, when if they'd just keep things constant for a while, a pattern of success might develop.



PBL is fine if you want to be like the Dr. on the TV show HOUSE.

Unfortunately, in dentistry you need a person in front of you who is willing to take some pain from a student at a reduced rate so you can learn.
 
WVUdental said:
it wont work in dentistry.

no way.

I guess USC should just throw in the towel along with all those other schools that do case studies. Personally, I wouldn't be able to stand a 30% PBL curriculum much less a 100% one like at USC, but some people actually prefer it. Different folks, different strokes.
 
crazy_sherm said:
I guess USC should just throw in the towel along with all those other schools that do case studies. Personally, I wouldn't be able to stand a 30% PBL curriculum much less a 100% one like at USC, but some people actually prefer it. Different folks, different strokes.


yea there is no way I want to get up in the morning and walk half mile to school only so that I can sit on my ass in a room by myself for 5 hours in the morning looking over a case and trying to guess what the hell is wrong only to be shot down in the afternoon by some professor with a god complex.

really, I just hate sitting in a room by myself for hours upon end, that would make me forget why I was even there.
 
aphistis said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Last time I heard that I was in the ninth grade and it was 1988. Thanks for the trip down memory lane aphistis! 👍 🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_Up!