PCA Job as "Clinical experience"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zen Arcade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working with as a Personal Care Assistant for a child with mild to moderate Autism this summer. I've really enjoyed the experience and have learned a lot through it, but I was wondering if this technically counts as "clinical experience." It seems like it would count according to other threads, but I just wanted to be sure this specific job is sufficient. I do cares for him and we have a list of goals that we go through every time we meet. At the end of the day I type up a report of how everything went and what improvements were made. It's given me a lot to talk about in interviews and has reinforced my intentions of pursuing medicine as a career, but it doesn't seem like a usual 'clinical experience.' Any thoughts as to whether this is good patient contact?

Also, I volunteer in Emergency Services at a local hospital, so this is not my only patient exposure.

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't that role more like that of a special education teacher than a health care professional? Are you caring for him in a clinical setting where there are licensed health care professionals present (in the building) or in another setting. Is he referred to a a patient? Does he wear a ID band on his wrist or have a medical record in which you record what you've done. It might be a good experience but it is hard to determine if the child is a "patient".

It might be closer to that of a special education teacher... I do activities with him such as tie shoes, read, play games, do PT exercises, ect. all of which are either at home, at the park or in town. I am officially a PCA, but I am not working under a nurse, with doctors, or the like. I do record what I've done at the end of the day on a excel sheet, but it is not something that is submitted to a health professional. I guess thats what I'm confused about... is he actually a patient?

I have been getting a lot of hours here, so I was hoping I could use this as clinical experience... but if its not one I think I'll only be at about 150 clinical hours by next application cycle with the other clinical experiences (ER volunteer, some CNA hours). Is that sufficient when coupled with this experience, or should I search for additional opportunities?

I wouldn't call it clinical experience, but you can make that experience shine in other ways in your application. That experience can also be a foot in the door for the clinical opportunities you're looking for.