Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I'm starting this thread for anyone who is going to take the PCAT this year in November (yes they opened up a new cycle before January 2013) and for people who have taken the PCAT already (this year pref) and can give us feedback.
Prep-books
I read a post from 2010 about the difference between Dr. Collins and KAPLAN's chemistry prep section; whether Dr. Collins prepares you better for chem. My first resource for studying has been from the Pearson PCAT practice tests (those 3 you can buy). Of course I did terribly so I decided I would get the prep-books. I heard you can't go wrong with KAPLAN so I got it. I've compared the practice test's chemistry problems to KAPLAN's sample problems. KAPLAN's is harder! (which means the possibility that this could prepare you even better). But what about Dr. Collins? Is it still worth getting it?
I'm mostly focusing on prepping for the chemistry and the quantitative section; meaning I'm ok when it comes to Bio.
I'm in awe that you are given an average of 35 seconds per question for the chem section, I can't even finish reading a problem correctly in that miniscule amount of time!!!!!!
Which now leads me to discuss...
Test-taking skills (any feed back greatly appreciated too).
Correct me if I'm unrealistic when I'm choosing this method: I'm not a chem genius and those long problems I SKIP. Let's face it, I just know I'm not going to have enough time, I've already come to terms. So what do I do?
- If I have SOME idea or know part of the concept, I try to use my common sense as much as possible to at least gravitate toward the possibility of a right answer.
- If I don't have ANY idea and I know i will be pressed for time, I will just have to blindly guess 🙁, which feels so demoralizing.
TIPS on health
What health routine or diet do you suggest before and on exam day to feel at your physical and mental optimum?
-Getting plenty of night's rest is a no-brainer; cramming is just going to make me even more anxious and unable to recall information.
-My exam is at 8:00AM, I'm not sure what I should eat beforehand since i'll be up so early without an appetite and I have to be fueled for the next 4 hours of the day.
-Should I exercise a little that morning to get my circulation going or is that not a good idea if I get really hungry during test-time?
Any more tips GREATLY appreciated! My exam is in 3 weeks.
* the Kaplan PCAT book I got was for 2012-2013
I'm starting this thread for anyone who is going to take the PCAT this year in November (yes they opened up a new cycle before January 2013) and for people who have taken the PCAT already (this year pref) and can give us feedback.
Prep-books
I read a post from 2010 about the difference between Dr. Collins and KAPLAN's chemistry prep section; whether Dr. Collins prepares you better for chem. My first resource for studying has been from the Pearson PCAT practice tests (those 3 you can buy). Of course I did terribly so I decided I would get the prep-books. I heard you can't go wrong with KAPLAN so I got it. I've compared the practice test's chemistry problems to KAPLAN's sample problems. KAPLAN's is harder! (which means the possibility that this could prepare you even better). But what about Dr. Collins? Is it still worth getting it?
I'm mostly focusing on prepping for the chemistry and the quantitative section; meaning I'm ok when it comes to Bio.
I'm in awe that you are given an average of 35 seconds per question for the chem section, I can't even finish reading a problem correctly in that miniscule amount of time!!!!!!
Which now leads me to discuss...
Test-taking skills (any feed back greatly appreciated too).
Correct me if I'm unrealistic when I'm choosing this method: I'm not a chem genius and those long problems I SKIP. Let's face it, I just know I'm not going to have enough time, I've already come to terms. So what do I do?
- If I have SOME idea or know part of the concept, I try to use my common sense as much as possible to at least gravitate toward the possibility of a right answer.
- If I don't have ANY idea and I know i will be pressed for time, I will just have to blindly guess 🙁, which feels so demoralizing.
TIPS on health
What health routine or diet do you suggest before and on exam day to feel at your physical and mental optimum?
-Getting plenty of night's rest is a no-brainer; cramming is just going to make me even more anxious and unable to recall information.
-My exam is at 8:00AM, I'm not sure what I should eat beforehand since i'll be up so early without an appetite and I have to be fueled for the next 4 hours of the day.
-Should I exercise a little that morning to get my circulation going or is that not a good idea if I get really hungry during test-time?
Any more tips GREATLY appreciated! My exam is in 3 weeks.
* the Kaplan PCAT book I got was for 2012-2013
Last edited:
