Pcat 2015 need advice

Started by pharm5105
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharm5105

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have taken the pcat three times now and I can't seem to get any better. The first ime I took it I did without any actual studying but the second and third time I did it while taking one class and a full time job. My composite scores were 31, 33 and now 28 so I am really feeling discouraged at this point. Do I have to quit my job in order to pass the exam because I really feel like that is the one thing holding me back. Do schools take highest individual scores? I got a 79 in biology in one and an 84 in math in the other.
 
No schools usually take the highest composite score, not individual. What materials are you using to prepare for the exam, if you don't mind me asking.
 
If you can't do the entire Dr Collins Study Packet because of work, definitely take some time off. A little paycut is a small sacrifice to get sufficient enough of hours for PCAT prep.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is easier said than done, but try not to get discouraged. You are simply doing too much. As a working 30-something adult that needs to maintain a home and car, I know that working less is not a option for a lot of us. However, something has to give. If you have a PCAT scheduled, you shouldn't be working full time AND taking a class if you want to get your scores up. I know we all want to get where we're going as quick as we can, but sometimes it isn't in the cards. If working full time is a necessity for you, then skip taking classes for a quarter (or semester, depending on your school). You MUST make time to study.

As far as study materials go, Collins is a good resource. There was a while where his material was not up to date, but when I took my PCAT last week there were many questions on the exam from his Biology tests. You obviously know what the test is like at this point, but I still suggest buying the three Pearson practice exams. There were questions on my exam from the practices and they really give you the best representation of the verbal and reading comp portions of the test. Additionally, the estimated score range I got on the practice exams was spot on to the real thing and helped me focus my studying. Beyond that, don't load up on too many study guides as it can be overwhelming BUT in addition to Collins and Pearson, Kaplan has some good testing strategies that make their massive tome worthwhile (but don't use their Chemistry section...it is WAY too in depth. Collins Chem is perfect.).

You do need to increase that score, but remember that even if you don't get into the upper 80's and 90's that schools look at more than just your PCAT score.

Hope this helps and good luck!
 
If you can get a decent bio / math score then if you put in your all you can definitely get above 90 in those sections. I agree that you might have to take a sacrifice of taking some time off work/school to study. If you're more science oriented i'd put emphasis on raising your chem score. With three good science scores your composite will be way higher.
Buy the Pearson practise tests a good while before. Make sure you do AL sections thoroughly and review everything thoroughly. Go over the answers and make sure you understand every concept. Do this a couple of times in the weeks leading up to the exam after all your studying and you should be good! I increased my composite from a 46 or 56 to an 89 when I actually studied
 
I have taken the pcat three times now and I can't seem to get any better. The first ime I took it I did without any actual studying but the second and third time I did it while taking one class and a full time job. My composite scores were 31, 33 and now 28 so I am really feeling discouraged at this point. Do I have to quit my job in order to pass the exam because I really feel like that is the one thing holding me back. Do schools take highest individual scores? I got a 79 in biology in one and an 84 in math in the other.
Sounds like your math and bio are very good. Bring up the Chem to 80+ and your will have a competitive PCAT! If your Job is really causing your lack of time commitment than you must weigh out your priorities.