PCAT Advice

Started by utman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

utman

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

Short version: Should I take orgo II this summer, study for PCAT and take physical chem (2nd year level) from Sept-Dec and write PCAT this January with no chance to rewrite or write the PCAT in september and take both chemistry courses Sept-Dec with a chance to rewrite in January? Chemistry isn't my strongest point and I haven't taken it in a few years.

Longer version:

I've decided to apply to pharmacy schools and need some advice! I did alright in introductory chemistry but never took second level chem, which is required. I basically have two choices for September 2013 acceptance.

I can write PCAT in September and take organic/physical chemistry in September of this year. This way if the PCAT doesn't go as well as I'd like, I can rewrite in January and still be accepted for 2013. Is two and a half months enough to review chemistry (which I wasn't spectacular at anyways, though I do attend a tough university), quant, biology (I rock at bio) and also learn everything I need for verbal/reading? To give you an idea, I have an A- cGPA and good work ethic. Downsides: If PCAT doesn't go well I have to take both chemistry courses while studying for PCAT and working part time (2 days).

My other option is to get Orgo out of the way this summer (will be done mid August) and take physical chem in Sept-Dec as well as study for the PCAT for January. This way studying for the chemisty section (my weakness) will be easier and I'll have much longer to study for the PCAT. Downsides: My summer will be tough (weekly labs and much studying), only one chance to write the PCAT.

What do you guys think?

Thank you for all input!!!

Edit: I'm planning on using a combination of Collins and some other book, with practice tests from Pearson.
 
I think 2 & a half months is plenty of time to study for the PCAT.

I wouldn't recommend a first-run of Orgo II during summer to anyone.

Check the schools you are interested in applying to, but it probably won't hurt a thing to take the PCAT twice, even if you do poorly the first time. However, some schools will not accept January PCAT scores for 2013 admission.

Overall, I would suggest sitting for the PCAT in September, with the option of taking it again in January.

Is there a reason you can't take one of the two classes in Spring?
 
The school I'm applying to will accept January PCAT scores. I think I'll take that advice so I can re-write the PCAT if needed.

Anyone know how many people score above 85 composite on their first shot?

Oh and I could take a course in spring, I'd rather just get it all done with sooner. I just graduated and wouldn't mind working full time.