PCAT Almost time for disaster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PillMan777

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

So I don't know about you all but I'm realy nervous about taking this comming PCAT in Aug. As I looked through the forums people keep asking whats on the PCAT, but I guess the best way to approach the question is What is NOT on the PCAT? 1. The biggest problems I face is Math I haven't taken any type of math classes in college only Brief Calculus which was easy. I was informed there is no Trig or Geometry on the test, however in the Kaplan books (came with the class) they show dervatives of sin and cos, etc.... Does anyone know is it worth studying for or not?
2. In the organic chem. portion besides nomenclature and knowing how molecules look like is there anything else I need to be concerned with like reactions ( how much do I need to know? Or is identify the type of rxn.. elimanation substitution, etc...)
3. Any portion of the Biology that I should study more in depth compared to someother parts in regards to the 2008-2009 Kaplan book.
I really appreciate your help guys, this is not my first time taking the PCAT I have a high GPA, but the PCAT is killing me softly and slowly.
 
I was kind of confused by kaplan about the math too, they said you wouldn't need trig but then there is a question involving only cosine/sine in the final exam. They also throw inverse derivatives in there and didn't go over those at all in the math chapter, has anyone seen an inverse derivative on the pcat? I can't find a good explanation on how to do them. Mathtv doesn't have an example, it's a great site though, I've been using it a lot lately.
 
I believe that there were derivatives of sin and cos. I ended up just skipping those because I don't know them.

For organic chemistry, I think you need to know SN1, SN2, E1, and E2 reactions. I also learned some general reactions of other functional groups. They will give the reactants and ask you to pick the product.

For biology, there won't be as many questions on ecology, animal behavior or classification but they still come up from time to time. I seem to remember many more questions about respiration and other cell processes, and things dealing with human systems.