PCAT and disabilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chemgirl35

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there's a disability form that can be submitted. I was wondering if I would be able to submit it for panic/anxiety disorder?, which I am certain is what inhibited my score the last time I took the PCAT. If so, will me being a test-taker having to be accomodated because of a disability inhibit me in any way when the adcom looks at me/my application?
 
You might want to contact Pearson (maker of the PCAT), or look on the website www.pcatweb.info

The handbook should outline their policy regarding test takers with disabilities. IMO, I don't think they would consider anxiety disorder a valid disability, but as I don't know what Pearson would consider, I may be wrong.
 
I have disabilities and applied for accomodation for my testing. Have you been formally evaluated for accomodations in college for your anxiety/panic? A doctor note from a psychologist, psychatrist, primary doctor can provide supportive documentation for PCAT accomodation. Please apply for these services so that you can excell with the exam.

I wish you well through the process.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just being in a separate room. That's one of the accomodations listed on the form and it would really make a difference. I think I should submit the form after talking to my dr.
 
To be honest...I have bad panic attacks and anxiety and I can't imagine how being in a separate room would help me. On top of this, it would be hard to do because they'd have to get a separate proctor for you.
 
I know there's a disability form that can be submitted. I was wondering if I would be able to submit it for panic/anxiety disorder?, which I am certain is what inhibited my score the last time I took the PCAT. If so, will me being a test-taker having to be accomodated because of a disability inhibit me in any way when the adcom looks at me/my application?

I think that if you have a legitimate diagnosis they have to make a reasonable accommodation for you. I don't know whether a separate room is a reasonable accommodation. If they do this for you, however, the adcom would never know. It is, after all, illegal to discriminate on the basis of disability.

Unless your disability would prevent you from fulfilling the core responsibilities of pharmacy. I don't expect that it would, but it's not my call.
 
It would help because I have general anxiety in social situations. With all those kids in the same room I can't focus while trying o take something so important. The form needs to be submitted like a month before the test, which gives them enough time to fulfill the accomodations.
 
Your accomodation request needs to be in eight or nine weeks prior to taking the test. I also requested separate classroom for taking the test because of my disabilities, so don't let that deter you for requesting accomodations. Many students don't know what to ask for in requesting accomodation, so take the time to figure out what you need. The dr's note needs to explain the accomodation requesting.