PCAT and the TIME!

Started by Tiff1223
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tiff1223

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey! I have recently taken the PCAT back in June and what I found challenging was the time. I never finished any sections except for reading. I mean I would be on question 42 and have to go to 58! when they would be like "time up" or "one minute left." I guess I am trying to find out what exactly can I do to better myself on time? If anyone knows or has any suggestions as to what can help me please let me know. Thanks
 
I took a bunch of practice tests under timed conditions. I also tried to go through all of the questions and answer the ones I felt confident about first. If I hit one that I had a problem with, I would circle it and come back after I finished all the ones I knew.

I'm sure you probably know that there isn't a penalty for guessing, so if you get down to the 1 or 5 minute warning and the only questions you have left are the ones you weren't sure about anyway, you can go through and guess on them so you at least answer everything.

Hope that helps a little!
 
what he said...and bring a digital watch with chronometer. I bought one just for the test and it was more valuable than any prep book.
 
i had that same problem too..try to do as many of the questions as you can, but don't be super rushed about it. I didn't even finish some of the sections on the June PCAT (esp math) but did pretty well (99% math!). also, bubble in any questions left blank since there's no penalty for guessing =)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i had that same problem too..try to do as many of the questions as you can, but don't be super rushed about it. I didn't even finish some of the sections on the June PCAT (esp math) but did pretty well (99% math!). also, bubble in any questions left blank since there's no penalty for guessing =)

how did u study for the math section since u say u got 99...like what materials did u use to study? how long did u study? what math courses had u taken and how long ago? thks in adv
 
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone.. this information has helped alot ! I really think that time was my problem. I had an extremely repeat EXTREMELY low score (below a 60). But its graded on a bell shaped curve so I figured that if I could just get a few more right then I should be good! Sp thanks again!
 
I took a bunch of practice tests under timed conditions. I also tried to go through all of the questions and answer the ones I felt confident about first. If I hit one that I had a problem with, I would circle it and come back after I finished all the ones I knew.

I'm sure you probably know that there isn't a penalty for guessing, so if you get down to the 1 or 5 minute warning and the only questions you have left are the ones you weren't sure about anyway, you can go through and guess on them so you at least answer everything.

Hope that helps a little!

The timing is a big issue for me. English is my second language and I always get confused. I recently bought software from www.thepcat.com and their pacer seems keeps me working faster. I hope by the time i take it I will not have any issues with time.

pedro