PCAT Chemistry Help??

Started by nonzerosum
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nonzerosum

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone

I recently got a copy of MCAT inorganic chemistry to help with the general chem section of PCAT. Does anyone know if the questions are similar?

Also I am in need of suggestions of books for fasting reviewing the chemistry And o-chem section of PCAT, only got 2 weeks left :scared:

Also, any adivce on how to do the chem questions so fast, only .5 minutes/pcat questions 😱 every time I go thru the practice pcat tests I always end up halfway through the questions in the chem section. Please help.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I don't know how chemistry on the MCAT compares but I do have advice on getting through the exam. Learn your concepts and trends very well. Answer all conceptual questions and then go back to the calculation questions. Conceptual questions shouldn't take more than a few seconds to answer. Just don't agonize over the answers. Then you should have a chunk of time to answer the calculations. If you waste a lot of time answering one of these, at least you answered all the questions that don't take a lot of time. That should allow you to get to more questions and improve your score.

Also for calculation questions, look for easy math. For gas laws, you often have to double or halve one of the values so there is no need to plug in all the numbers. You can memorize a couple of molecular weights like CO2, H2O or some other common ones that come up a lot to save some time. If you have to find how many moles are used, it is mostly easy math like 0.5 moles or 2.0 moles. If you are getting weird numbers, you probably made a mistake.

For materials, I thought the Kaplan book was good enough for general chem but not good enough for organic. I used a Schaum's guide for that.

My last piece of advice is to take the practice exams if you can afford them. They are worth it just to pinpoint your weaknesses and you still have time to correct them.