PCAT general Q's

Started by deleted158872
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted158872

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm having Cliffnote's 5 PCAT practice exams, and I still have some questions:

1/ Are the questions in Cliffnote EASIER than the real thing ?

2/ Is there penalty for guessing on PCAT ?

3/ For the essay: Does it simply ask for either (1) your opinion on an issue, OR (2) to offer a solution to the problem it proposed ? Or BOTH ? Is there a general structure for writing the PCAT essay ?? 😕
 
1) I can't answer but I'm sure it is posted somewhere on this board.
2) There is no penalty for guessing so definitely fill in all the bubbles.
3) They give you a topic, and you are supposed to come up with a solution. And then you discuss alternate solutions and why yours is better. The format and more detailed info should be in the Candidate Information Booklet.
 
For the essay: So our main task is to offer a solution, right ?
In the topic, they say EITHER express your opinions OR offer a solution. So do we get a choice to choose one? or are we required to write both ?

Btw, where's the Candidate Information Booklet ??
 
Can anyone plz show me a sample PCAT essay in response to a question, or just an outline ??? I wanna get some idea of what I'm gonna face
 
Btw, where's the Candidate Information Booklet ??

CIB

Can anyone plz show me a sample PCAT essay in response to a question, or just an outline ??? I wanna get some idea of what I'm gonna face

Last time I checked, Pearson/Harcourt doesn't release official responses. Here's what they put in last year's CIB (strangely, it's not in this year's CIB)

Writing

Directions: The topic on which you will write is in
the form of a statement that presents a problem.
Your essay should present a solution to the problem
presented in the statement.

Your essay should be of sufficient length to adequately
explain your solution to the problem presented
in the statement. In your response, you
should observe the following:

• Suggest a solution to the problem presented.
• State a clear thesis and present relevant support
that draws upon credible references from your
academic or personal experience, reading, or
studies.
• Discuss and evaluate possible alternative
solutions to the one you are suggesting.
• Use appropriate and conventional grammar,
punctuation, usage, and style.
• Make sure your essay is legible so it can be
easily read and scored.
• Allow time to proofread your essay and make
sure that any revisions you make are indicated
clearly.

Problem-Solving Topic:
Discuss a solution to the problem of America’s
dependence on imported non-renewable fossil fuels
such as oil.