PCAT Help please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

pharm_94

Hello :)

So here's my situation.. please do give me your opinion & help!

I'm a student in college with a GPA of 3.9.

I've taken more than one Chemistry course (Chem 1/2 & Orgo 1) I plan on taking Orgo 2 soon. As for Biology, I've taken Biology 1/2 and Microbiology & A/P 1/2.

I feel like I get the concepts of all my subjects but I've taken the PCAT.. 3 times and each time I get lower than 50 percentile.

Recently when I took it I got a 394 composite because the time screwed me over and Biology was harder than planned and I guessed on more than 15 of the math questions because there was no time.

I've used the testing materials everyone seems to use.. Kaplan 2015 .. book mostly for biology, Dr.Collins 2015 for everything except Reading (Packets & Study Guides) & I purchased the pearson practice tests.

I seem to know it all with the testing materials but I still don't do well. I don't know if the time is the problem.. but it's really making me lose hope but at the same time I don't want to lose hope.

Any advice?

Does anyone know anything I can do to strengthen my studying? I really want to pass.

Does anyone know what composite is 50 percentile? Is the book for Kaplan different? is Dr.Collins 2016 different from the 2015 one even though I have the updates?

Thank you.

- a lost prepharm student

Anything would help so please do let me know

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken more than one Chemistry course (Chem 1/2 & Orgo 1) I plan on taking Orgo 2 soon. As for Biology, I've taken Biology 1/2 and Microbiology & A/P 1/2.

I feel like I get the concepts of all my subjects but I've taken the PCAT.. 3 times and each time I get lower than 50 percentile.

Recently when I took it I got a 394 composite because the time screwed me over and Biology was harder than planned and I guessed on more than 15 of the math questions because there was no time.

I've used the testing materials everyone seems to use.. Kaplan 2015 .. book mostly for biology, Dr.Collins 2015 for everything except Reading (Packets & Study Guides) & I purchased the pearson practice tests.

I seem to know it all with the testing materials but I still don't do well. I don't know if the time is the problem.. but it's really making me lose hope but at the same time I don't want to lose hope.

Any advice?

Does anyone know anything I can do to strengthen my studying? I really want to pass.

Does anyone know what composite is 50 percentile? Is the book for Kaplan different? is Dr.Collins 2016 different from the 2015 one even though I have the updates?

Thank you.

What i did on pcat was skip the passage related questions and do other 24 multiple questions first and return to the 24 passage questions. You really do not need to read all of the passage. what you need to do first is read the question first. Most of them really do not need to read the passage. (at least to me.) if you think you need more info, then see the figures and table or read passage really quick.

In math, If you need lots of time to slove the question, just guess the answer that is very reasonable to you. Then mark the question and move to next question. There are so many easy questions such as simple unit conversion or precal. if you miss those easy question..... it hurts you really really bad.

hope you have a luck!

Any advice?

Thank you.

also you do not need to take pcat that early. your courses in college really helps you to solve pcat questions.
or if you need more info, then youtube is really great resource.
When I study for pcat orgo and gen chem, the video was really helped me to study.

Any advice?

Thank you.

pearson practice tests are very similar to real pcat. if you made wrong answer on the practice test, you need make a note and think what you need to memorize.

I used only kaplan 2016 to study for pcat. I actually read everything on it and made my own notes. kaplan practice tests are really harder than real pcat but i recommend you to do it and also make notes on your wrong answers.
I heard Dr. collin? is useful but i thought I can do it without that expansive material.... too expensive! lol.
you have many times to study for pcat so it means you have many times to memorize all of them

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much :) So what kind of videos did you watch? You just searched up concepts you didn't understand? & I pretty much did that with the Pearson Practice Tests but I feel like the time just makes me nervous so I don't do so well.

So you basically just read the whole Kaplan Book?

& used the Practice Tests?

What was your composite score? & percentile? If you don't mind me asking. :)

Thanks for your reply & your time

pearson practice tests are very similar to real pcat. if you made wrong answer on the practice test, you need make a note and think what you need to memorize.

I used only kaplan 2016 to study for pcat. I actually read everything on it and made my own notes. kaplan practice tests are really harder than real pcat but i recommend you to do it and also make notes on your wrong answers.
I heard Dr. collin? is useful but i thought I can do it without that expansive material.... too expensive! lol.
you have many times to study for pcat so it means you have many times to memorize all of them

Thank you so much :) So what kind of videos did you watch? You just searched up concepts you didn't understand? & I pretty much did that with the Pearson Practice Tests but I feel like the time just makes me nervous so I don't do so well.

So you basically just read the whole Kaplan Book?

& used the Practice Tests?

What was your composite score? & percentile? If you don't mind me asking. :)

Thanks for your reply & your time

I made 84 composite
96 chem and math. 85 bio.
I had struggled with reading.. bc english is my second language.. lol..

dont just read. make your own notes.

search pcat organic chemistry in youtube then there must be a chennel called organic chemistry tutor. that chennel has many useful video but if you just want to see the overview and summary, then it is ok too. also gen chem summary is useful too. he gives very good explanation on mechanism even tho you dont need to know the mechanism for pcat, it helps you alot.

Last edited:
I second Crossfinger. Pearson, Kaplan, and PCAT Achiever are the three sources that will get you good scores on the PCAT. These practice tests are the most updated and the most challenging ones IMO.

Thank you :) I used Pearson but I never did the Kaplan practice exams.. are questions from the PCAT achiever similar or the same?

How did you study from Kaplan?

Did you use Dr.Collins or no?

I second Crossfinger. Pearson, Kaplan, and PCAT Achiever are the three sources that will get you good scores on the PCAT. These practice tests are the most updated and the most challenging ones IMO.

You did amazingly well. Half the time I don't think I'll ever do that well even tbough I have good grades.. I'm not a good PCAT test taker. So you scored those simply from using Kaplan as your overall study guide?

Haha everyone struggles with reading so its okay.

Thank you :) I'll look into the videos!

I made 84 composite
96 chem and math. 85 bio.
I had struggled with reading.. bc english is my second language.. lol..

dont just read. make your own notes.

search pcat organic chemistry in youtube then there must be a chennel called organic chemistry tutor. that chennel has many useful video but if you just want to see the overview and summary, then it is ok too. also gen chem summary is useful too. he gives very good explanation on mechanism even tho you dont need to know the mechanism for pcat, it helps you alot.

You did amazingly well. Half the time I don't think I'll ever do that well even tbough I have good grades.. I'm not a good PCAT test taker. So you scored those simply from using Kaplan as your overall study guide?

Haha everyone struggles with reading so its okay.

Thank you :) I'll look into the videos!

I used only Kaplan. But college courses are really helpful so I do not understand why you are rushing on taking PCAT. I think it will be better if you take bio and chem courses in College first.

Thank you :) I used Pearson but I never did the Kaplan practice exams.. are questions from the PCAT achiever similar or the same?

How did you study from Kaplan?

Did you use Dr.Collins or no?

I did not purchase Dr. Collins study materials: just too expensive. I suggest using your textbooks or lecture notes as your frequent references after taking and reviewing each practice test. And don't freak out on the practice scores especially the Achiever's. They are there to make you study harder for a good purpose.

Hello Everyone! I recently just purchased Dr.Collins PCAT study guides and exams for 2016/2017. I have not written anything on the exams, and I am trying to sell all the materials that I bought from them. Leave your contact information if you are interested!

Hello Everyone! I recently just purchased Dr.Collins PCAT study guides and exams for 2016/2017. I have not written anything on the exams, and I am trying to sell all the materials that I bought from them. Leave your contact information if you are interested!
Hi is it still available to be purchased

Don't just read take active notes. Ask yourself challenging question as you study and really try to understand the concept. Also work on your timing,
very important ; you could know the material but still get screwed because of your timing. practice! until your time is okay, time yourself.
I noticed with Crack the PCAT practice exams, that my timing was bad so needed more practice...

I am sure if you have a 3.9 GPA you can figure how to tackle the PCAT. when I think about it. it is really not that hard. the test is more of how well you condition yourself and also how good your memory retention is. trying to memorize everything may only add stress. if you study again try understanding the content as it will be less stressful and when you understand one concept it actually help you understand multiple concepts as everything is related.