PCAT in October.. Enough time to study?

Started by MishMash
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MishMash

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, Ive been studying for about 2 weeks now and I'm really worried about the time i have.. Is two months enough to study for the exam? Also, What are some of the things you recommend I do to study better? I bought two practice books and I try to do all the problems but it's very hard since I don't really remember any of the world i did =( Help
Thanks :scared:
 
Depends on your study habits and what materials you are using. I studied for 2 months here and there and then for a week straight prior to the test. I scored an 87 with Bio and Verbal being my highest scores. Math was pretty low, though.

I suggest Dr. Collins materials for biology and math. I suggest using testprepreview.com for an exhaustive list of vocab. words. I also just used a Kaplan book for reading comprehension practice and got an 80 on that section (not the best, I know).

Good luck, though. I know you can pull it off!
 
I think it depends on how well you take tests and how recent your bio and chem pre reqs were. I didn't have any time to study before I took the PCAT (other than to take one practice test so that I knew what was on it) but I also had just finished my prereqs about two months before. I found that having to recently take those finals more than made up for any studying that I didn't get a chance to do. If your prereqs are now a distant memory then you may need to buckle down on the studying and I guess how hard of a course load you have this fall will play a big role in how much time you can spend on studying for the PCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Two months should be good, as long as you devote a few hours a day to studying! Try to break it down into sections and then the last week just take practice tests and time yourself for them. By the time your test rolls around you should be pretty comfortable with your ability to perform well.

I studied about two months and mine is in three days and all I've been doing this week is taking practice tests! ...and watching District 9. Man, what a good movie
 
Two months should be good, as long as you devote a few hours a day to studying! Try to break it down into sections and then the last week just take practice tests and time yourself for them. By the time your test rolls around you should be pretty comfortable with your ability to perform well.

I studied about two months and mine is in three days and all I've been doing this week is taking practice tests! ...and watching District 9. Man, what a good movie

Was it that good? I have been contemplating about seeing that movie.
 
Was it that good? I have been contemplating about seeing that movie.

Yeah, it's definitely worth the watch in a movie theater. It's not really what you expect the movie to be like. The previews don't really give away much at all about what is going on in the movie. I'd put it in my top10 for now. Awesome main character
 
Hey, Ive been studying for about 2 weeks now and I'm really worried about the time i have.. Is two months enough to study for the exam? Also, What are some of the things you recommend I do to study better? I bought two practice books and I try to do all the problems but it's very hard since I don't really remember any of the world i did =( Help
Thanks :scared:


Why wouldn't two months be enough? I studied maybe two or three days a week for five weeks and I did okay. I'm just an average student. Just get comfortable with the type of questions and you'll be okay. TO ANYBODY OUT THERE worrying about the PCAT, just relax and keep doing practice problems. Unless you were dropped repeatedly on the head as a baby, I think all of you would do just fine on the PCAT.
 
I think 2 months should be fine as long as you are disciplined. I'm taking the Oct test as well and my brain feels like its about to cave in! I can't wait until its done.
 
I actually have a question about the PCAT. I've heard that ochem purification techniques are no longer tested on the PCAT. Is this true? Also, does the writing portion have to be in black ink or can it be in pencil? Thanks.
 
I actually have a question about the PCAT. I've heard that ochem purification techniques are no longer tested on the PCAT. Is this true? Also, does the writing portion have to be in black ink or can it be in pencil? Thanks.


I think you should check up on the PEN thing. All I brought to the test was pencils ....so I wrote in pencil. As you can remember from the instructions, Pearson told you to bring a set of pencils but no pen. Go figure.
 
Yeah, it's definitely worth the watch in a movie theater. It's not really what you expect the movie to be like. The previews don't really give away much at all about what is going on in the movie. I'd put it in my top10 for now. Awesome main character

Oh really. That good huh? I might go and see it this weekend. I so wanna see The Final Destination once it comes out.
 
Depends on your study habits and what materials you are using. I studied for 2 months here and there and then for a week straight prior to the test. I scored an 87 with Bio and Verbal being my highest scores. Math was pretty low, though.

I suggest Dr. Collins materials for biology and math. I suggest using testprepreview.com for an exhaustive list of vocab. words. I also just used a Kaplan book for reading comprehension practice and got an 80 on that section (not the best, I know).

Good luck, though. I know you can pull it off!

Where do you find these lists of vocab. words on testprepreview? I tried searching around but all I can find is practice problems. I really need to improve my verbal and reading. I, too, am taking the Oct. PCAT for my second time around. I alotted myself one month for the June PCAT and didn't do so great (although I really think I didn't take it serious enough). I only studied kaplan. This time I'm using Kaplan again, but studying more seriously, and accompanying it with REA and Cliff's. I'm also using my old chemistry notes from class, because Kaplan's chemistry can get confusing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agreed! You see how every main character dies in the trailer!
I'm a fan of the first one. I felt like the other 2 went kind of downhill from there.... hopefully this one is better!

Anyways, tell me what you think of District 9. Don't go in there expecting a giant alien war shootem up movie
 
Thats more than enough. In the end, it depends on how much you know from your pre-req classes, any high school class, and whatever you've grasped from those review books. Only you can tell how much time you need. It's a combination of everything. I know a few people in my univ, who studied for mths, yet didnt do as well as some people who studied for a few weeks, and of course vice versa.

Thus, it all depends on a lot of things and only you can tell how much time you need to study for this test. 🙂