Pcat math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jupiteiran

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I registered for the pcat in June, and I am extremely nervous about it. :scared:
Does anyone have advice on how to study for the math section? Any good books? Also, I bought the Kaplan pcat book and would like to know, from those who have taken the test and used this book, was this book helpful? Will I do fine if I solely study from the Kaplan book?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Just brush up on you algebra and calculus. I used the Barron's book. I think the main thing to be worried about on the Math section is actually getting through it within the time constraints. I mean, it won't really matter if you didn't miss any if you only answer 30 out of the 60 questions asked. It could be the difference between a 50 and a 90.

I think it'd be best to practice getting through so many problems within a given amount of time...and once you have time down...then work on correctness.

I used the Kaplan PCAT book, and I thought it was a great study aid. I took the October 2005 PCAT, and one thing I did that really helped my math score was buy the Kaplan GRE Math workbook. They have a lot of practice problems, especially for probability and geometry.

I recognized a lot of the questions for geometry, and didn't have to think much to just plug & chug from that point. That gave me more time to think about the calculus problems, and try to remember the unit circle from pre-calc. The 2005 book was weak on calc...hopefully they've remedied that in the newest edition.