PCAT Math

Started by SomaCNS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SomaCNS

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi....So I was quite surprised with the Quantitative Ability section on last week's pcat. For those of you who thought this section was easy, how did you prepare for this section? Which materials did you use? As I plan to retake it in January, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 
Yes...I read your previous posts. Not having taken Calculus since junior year of high school (I've already graduated college), I did do all the Kaplan workshops and quizzes and some practice tests - the majority of which I did very well on. But while I felt Kaplan was a good prep for the other sections, I felt the math was COMPLETELY misrepresented (at least on the test I had). The problems on the practice materials were nowhere near the complexity (and even topic in several cases) on my pcat. As I wrote, I was very surprised as having previously been a good math student and after having done all those practice materials, I expected the math section to be my easiest section and instead, found it to be my most difficult section.

You also mentioned the Cliffs materials .... I did not use the Cliffs materials so I will definitely check out those before the next exam. Thanks! I think I'll also look at some of my math textbooks from high school that I still have.
 
Well, I relied on math textbooks and learned the basic and main concepts for each math class through calc I. I avoided the theoretical stuff that was overkill for the PCAT and I used problems to practice my speed and shortcuts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I barely studied for the math section in August, and I didn't even have time to read every question. I left the test crying. However, I ended up with a 95. Everyone finds the math section hard, so you might do better than anticipated.
 
I agree with Angela on the math section. I really had no idea on a lot of problems and didn't have time to finish a lot. I got a 91! Either my guessing was really good, or the curve on that section is really big. No harm in trying to study though until you know your score!
 
I barely studied for the math section in August, and I didn't even have time to read every question. I left the test crying. However, I ended up with a 95. Everyone finds the math section hard, so you might do better than anticipated.
Same with me. I didn't even finish the last 5 or 8 questions and just bubbled them in and I got an 87. Everyone does poorly in the math section, so comparatively, you should be fine.
 
Hi....So I was quite surprised with the Quantitative Ability section on last week's pcat. For those of you who thought this section was easy, how did you prepare for this section? Which materials did you use? As I plan to retake it in January, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.


i think math is something u master throughout ur college years. alot of ppl try to finish math in high school by taking AP calculus but it can hurt alot bc u will forget things after 4 years. i always do well on PCAT math, GRE or math tests even though i never study for it. it could be that i worked my way up in college from algebra 1, trig., cal 1, cal 2, and then statistics.
 
I barely studied for the math section in August, and I didn't even have time to read every question. I left the test crying. However, I ended up with a 95. Everyone finds the math section hard, so you might do better than anticipated.

Yeah, I ended up bubbling in around seven bubbles in the last five seconds and somehow got a 96😕

My hand and arm never hurt as bad as it did during that section.