pcat prep materials besides collins and kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HuskerBluejay

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for what it's worth, I will share a few resources I used to prepare for the pcat I took yesterday. I don't plan on taking it again or visiting this forum again, so I'll share a few things before I move on. I had 3 months to prepare. I did not buy kaplan or collins. My composite was 93, mainly because both my verbal & rc were 94. I did not prepare for these two sections, they just came naturally to me. I have a bio degree but I got it 16 years ago. I had to re-learn algebra & calc and review everything else.
  • I took 3 pearson practice tests, and I reviewed every problem and answer at least twice in the science/math sections. I paid a lot of attention to the wrong answers and figured out that you can usually narrow your choices down to 2 pretty easily. I learned that I needed to always look at the 4 answers before I tried to calculate anything because that way I would quickly see if rounding numbers would be okay or not, and it usually was.
  • I got a couple sets of Great Course dvd's off of ebay. The human A&P videos were great. I also got Chemistry 2nd edition, which was rather basic, but it was a very good review for me and came with a workbook of problems. It was important to me to have a good understanding of the basics in chem & bio. Just like these chem dvd's, I also got the Algebra 1 set of videos, and I didn't watch most of them but I did all of the problems in the workbook. They also have algebra 2, and if you can find these cheap on ebay, I think they are worth it.
  • I used Kahn academy extensively for review. What I liked about their videos is that they are short and organized clearly, so you can skip forward if it's boring. I like the practice problems they offer.
  • I liked the Youtube channel called Crash Course biology for reviewing a lot of info. quickly, also their chemistry videos, they are funny and to-the-point.
  • MIT open courseware was helpful for reviewing major concepts that I had forgotten. You can stream lectures from the MIT site linked here, or search for a similar topic in Youtube - I watched a few Berkeley videos there, example here.
And finally, Benchprep has an online PCAT study program that is free for 3 days, so 3 days before my test I signed up at Benchprep and scrolled through their list of lessons and clicked on the ones I thought would help me the most. Honestly, from what I saw, it was worth using free but I wouldn't pay for it. Hope this helps someone out there, especially if you're old like me. 😉