PCAT prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nanaschool2000

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what kind of pcat prep books did you guys use? Has anyone taken Kaplan prep course before? If you did, was it helpful?
 
I used kaplan but lets see... i dont think it was really that helpful... a lot of the questions were basic that you knew / remembered from taking those classes like bio chem, a lot of microbio. Not much orgo, lots of calc I, i think i would've been more prepared if i studied my textbooks but then thats a lot of info. I know a girl that took the kaplan course and they really went into detailed with EVERYTHING especially lots of orgo reactions yet there was very little orgo -- but it seems like if you keep up the work with the kaplan course then they'll prepare you well.
 
for the chem/organic section, i studied from the MCAT princeton review book. It prepared me soo well for the test in OCT. I breezed through it and finished with confident. Kaplan Bio was helpful except that i used the 2004-2005 version which didn't have micro but i had taken microbiology the previous semester Kaplan math was also helpful but i also used the 2004-2005 version which voided out calc. can someone let me know whether kaplan 2007 include calc and micro? BTW.. Baron's book is not a real representation of the pcat. it is wayyyy too easy. I would recommend Kaplan and Princeton.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for the chem/organic section, i studied from the MCAT princeton review book. It prepared me soo well for the test in OCT. I breezed through it and finished with confident. Kaplan Bio was helpful except that i used the 2004-2005 version which didn't have micro but i had taken microbiology the previous semester Kaplan math was also helpful but i also used the 2004-2005 version which voided out calc. can someone let me know whether kaplan 2007 include calc and micro? BTW.. Baron's book is not a real representation of the pcat. it is wayyyy too easy. I would recommend Kaplan and Princeton.


I didn't think the recent kaplan had very much microbio... and the calc was very basic. you're better off using the textbook for those two subjects.