PCAT Prep

Started by UofK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UofK

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm taking the PCAT on the 23rd and was wondering if anyone else has used my method of study and recieved results. Instead of purchasing new resources to get me threw this process, I'm simply relying on my old textbooks. So far, I've completed the first 17 chapters of the textbook "Biology" (Campbell Reece 2nd Ed.) which includes introductory paragraphs, macromolecules, cellular metabolism, cell components, cellular respiration, genetics, mitosis, meiosis, dna replication and protein synthesis. I plan on skipping the plant section of the book entirely to move onto the anatomy section of the book since time is of the essance.

The final week before the exam, I plan on going through the first 15 chapters of the textbook "Chemistry" (Chang 9th Ed.) as well as review some of my organic I notes. I purchased the Kaplan 2010 book from Amazon and quickly discovered that it isn't detailed enough. So my question is has anyone else cracked their old textbooks and performed well on the PCAT without using these new study guides and outlines that seem to be the popular choice of preparation?
 
I used the Kaplan 2009-2010 book and I agree some parts were definitely lacking such as there is virtually no organic chem apart from nomenclature and the verbal part is dismal. Although I did find it was really good with general chem and bio. For Math I used my first yr calculus book and also used my stats book for probability. For organic chem, I used Examkrackers 1001 question on Organic chem supplemented with my own organic chem book. For verbal, just read 3-4 articles from scientific American or national geographic and just Google definitions that you aren't familiar with. In addition look up prefix and suffixes and latin/greek word roots, this will help you decipher words that you don't know. For essay portion, make a list of every possible health-related or political issue and write an essay about what the issue is about, how it has developed and what are some ways of dealing with it. Also look up health related or political related prompts. Take a look at http://www.scribd.com/doc/55697/501-Writing-Prompts. Just use the ones in the persuasive prompts section using your judgment of which ones seem to be likely to be the type of question they might ask.