PCAT Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SammieHabbo

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am having trouble finding the Dr. Collins PCAT Preparation materials or the Dr Collins website. Any suggestions or links on websites where I can buy the study packets? I have the Kaplan study guide but I don't think its up to date. Help is appreciated!
 
I highly recommend Dr. Collins prep course with The Princeton Review study book to supplement. I managed to double both my composite scores and my chemistry score after my 4th attempt. Also, if you can make it to the Dr. Collins live prep class, definitely take the opportunity to do so. It was well worth it!

Good luck! :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I highly recommend Dr. Collins prep course with The Princeton Review study book to supplement. I managed to double both my composite scores and my chemistry score after my 4th attempt. Also, if you can make it to the Dr. Collins live prep class, definitely take the opportunity to do so. It was well worth it!

Good luck! :luck:
You guys are great. This info really helps. Im glad you did well this gives me a little more motivation.
 
Remember to practice your RC with something other than Dr.Collins! Thats the only section that they fail to prepare students for!! otherwise Dr.Collins is the way to a 80+ (many times 90+) composite!
 
Hi,

I was wondering since you took the Dr. Collins prep class, would it benefit me to take since I have not yet taken Organic or calculus and plan on teaching those two coarses to myself?
 
Hi,

I was wondering since you took the Dr. Collins prep class, would it benefit me to take since I have not yet taken Organic or calculus and plan on teaching those two coarses to myself?

It's hard for me to answer this. There was a student in our class who had yet to take ochem or calculus and as we were reviewing these subjects, she had a hard time understanding what we were talking about. For example, she had a hard time understanding limits and L'Hopitals Rule as well as hybrid orbitals, etc. However, you have enough time to sort of teach yourself, if that's what you choose to do. The Dr. Collins packets are quite comprehensive, in terms of including the pertinent information you need to know for the PCAT. There are plenty of resources out there like Chad's videos, Khan Academy, etc. if that's what you so choose to use to teach yourself the material but Dr. Collins would definitely help!

Hope this helps and good luck! :luck:
 
I highly recommend Dr. Collins prep course with The Princeton Review study book to supplement. I managed to double both my composite scores and my chemistry score after my 4th attempt. Also, if you can make it to the Dr. Collins live prep class, definitely take the opportunity to do so. It was well worth it!

Good luck! :luck:
Im gonna be taking the Fort Lauderdale one this May. The course already comes with with study packet the self-study version receives right? Thanks
 
Hi,

I was wondering since you took the Dr. Collins prep class, would it benefit me to take since I have not yet taken Organic or calculus and plan on teaching those two coarses to myself?
I did not take the Dr. Collins class but I did purchase the self study guide and took the PCAT before I had taken O.Chem I or II. I used some online videos and the Dr. Collins guide and ended up scoring in the 97%ile on the chemistry section. I had taken Calculus so I can't speak on that but Dr. Collins definitely gave me exactly what I needed as far as O.Chem went, and a great review for everything else as well. I highly recommend it!
 
Next year will be my first year in college for pre-pharmacy and in order to get into pharmacy, as you all probably know, i need to take the PCAT. when do you recommend starting to study or review and what resources do you find helpful to study with? Thanks!
 
Next year will be my first year in college for pre-pharmacy and in order to get into pharmacy, as you all probably know, i need to take the PCAT. when do you recommend starting to study or review and what resources do you find helpful to study with? Thanks!
Don't even worry about the PCAT yet until you've taken all the relevant science courses. Try your best to learn all the material and the PCAT will be a piece of cake. Everything on there, your college courses should've taught you. It's just a case of remembering. Oh and try and do good in all your classes so your GPA is high enough that there won't be as much pressure to get a really good PCAT score.
 
Next year will be my first year in college for pre-pharmacy and in order to get into pharmacy, as you all probably know, i need to take the PCAT. when do you recommend starting to study or review and what resources do you find helpful to study with? Thanks!

Don't even worry about the PCAT yet until you've taken all the relevant science courses. Try your best to learn all the material and the PCAT will be a piece of cake. Everything on there, your college courses should've taught you. It's just a case of remembering. Oh and try and do good in all your classes so your GPA is high enough that there won't be as much pressure to get a really good PCAT score.

This x1000

Studying for the PCAT really begins once you step into college. The amount of studying you do for the PCAT, exclusively, is pretty much determined by how much you study and understand the information presented in your college classes. The PCAT could be a beast to some people, but a walk in the park for others.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recommend to start studying after your second year when you've had all your biology, chemistry, and organic chemistry courses.

I actually enrolled in the Kaplan course but did not find it as useful as Dr. Collin's study guide. I took the PCAT last September and found many questions to come straight from Dr. Collin's. Dr. Collin's is good with the Chemistry and gives a brief review of Biology. However, it did not help me much in the reading. I did find some verbal questions on the PCAT that was verbatim to the study guide, though.

You may find more biology material from Kaplan's or Cliff's Notes online. There are some really good biology flashcards that are offered with the Kaplan set that I used also. If you want some more Chemistry and Math review, I would definitely check out Chad's Videos online. My friend (who was pre-dent and studying for the DAT) had a subscription to the chemistry and organic chemistry portion, and we both found him to be extremely helpful.

I still have all my Kaplan and Dr. Collin's study materials that I would love to get off my hands! PM if you are interested!