PCAT Questions - HELP

Started by ANaik
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ANaik

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems like not many users are replying to any of the threads. All they do is view them and in some cases some people do reply. How are we supposed to help each other, and even be helpful if nobody is writing down their opinions, experiences, and giving their assistance?

I have questions about the upcoming September PCAT and HOPEFULLY somebody will be able to reply and have some of the answers.

1,) Dr. Collins - I have heard so much about this Collins packet and I have researched it. I heard that QA, Verbal, and Chem are the way to go when using Collins. What was the most effective method that anyone used to study? Did anyone just do the tests over and over and over? Also, how similiar is it to the real PCAT?

2.) Exactly how much Microbiology is there on the PCAT? What are some examples that you have seen on the recent July PCAT if anyone has taken it?

3.) Calculus is pretty much the farthest math skill that you need to know for this test. Is it just basic calculus or is it more advanced? Is Collins helpful enough just by looking at the notes for Calculus?

4.) When it comes to A&P, do you need to know what each part of the body does or do you need to know how drugs can effect each part of the body?
 
Hi ANaik,

I completely understand that feeling! I'll try to answer as best as possible!

1. I didn't use Dr. Collins but my friend told me that said it was extremely helpful for the Verbal section. That's about the only thing he told me!

2. I don't particularly remember examples of microbiology questions on the PCATs. But I felt like it was quite specific and it definitely made me regret not going over the my micro lecture notes before taking the exam. (I took it a Spring 2011...a year before the exam..needless to say, I don't remember much from that class.) But knowing the basics certainly helps like gram + and gram - information.

3. Again I didn't take Dr. Collins. I hadn't taken Calculus or seen any form of Calculus for a good three years (Last time I took Calc was freshman year...). I practiced using the Pearson's Practice test. But do note that those questions are a bit easier than the real deal. A lot more calculations that's for sure so try to approximate as much as possible. If it's going to take a lot of calculations, just skip it. Do the one's you know for sure first and is easier to do. Know your trig (derivatives and anti-derivatives!!) That definitely threw me off.

4. I didn't even take Anatomy yet before taking the test. I only took Physiology and I felt like it was good enough. I didn't know drugs or their mechanisms for that matter so as long as you know the basics, I think you're fine.

Hope that helps and good luck on your exam!
 
Before you start complaining about others not answering your questions, have you answered anyone's questions? It looks like all the questions on the forum have answers and all your questions could be answered by reading some old threads.

1.) Dr. Collins. Looks like you found the answer yourself. You've researched and found that most people suggest it. Then study it. How many methods of studying other than repetition are there? Unless you have photographic memory do you expect to just study it once and retain it all?

2.) How do you expect someone to answer this? I doubt anyone recalls exactly how much micro there was. There is a blueprint on the PCAT website that breaks down roughly how much of each topic are on the test. Also, you are not allowed to discuss specific questions from the exam, not that I even remember any.

3.) I'm sure the math can vary a lot. The pearson practice tests had some questions that were pretty complex, and their explanations didn't even help. But when I took the actual PCAT, I felt like I did no calculus at all. This is pharmacy, not engineering.

4.) Again, check the blueprint. I don't think you have to know how drugs affect certain parts of the body. You do need to know physiological systems. Without that, there's not much else they can test you on since they removed pretty much everything else.


Sorry if I sound cynical but I feel that we should all know how to study by now. All the information is out there. People do well without having to ask these specifics.

The best tip I can give you is to do the pearson practice tests. They will give you a diagnostic score report so you can see which areas you can brush up on. Then review all the answers and explanations as well. You will learn a lot.

Good luck.
 
It seems like not many users are replying to any of the threads. All they do is view them and in some cases some people do reply. How are we supposed to help each other, and even be helpful if nobody is writing down their opinions, experiences, and giving their assistance?

I think the trouble is that the PCAT is a very timely topic - prior to and just after taking it, it's a hot topic, but then you're done. Also, they just rewrote the PCAT, so any information about the format or what's included or even how to study (besides in generalities) may be dated.

I have questions about the upcoming September PCAT and HOPEFULLY somebody will be able to reply and have some of the answers.

1,) Dr. Collins - I have heard so much about this Collins packet and I have researched it. I heard that QA, Verbal, and Chem are the way to go when using Collins. What was the most effective method that anyone used to study? Did anyone just do the tests over and over and over? Also, how similiar is it to the real PCAT?

I did not use Doc Collins. However, many other people have addressed these very questions previously.

2.) Exactly how much Microbiology is there on the PCAT? What are some examples that you have seen on the recent July PCAT if anyone has taken it?

The PCAT Candidate Booklet has a breakdown of the test. Nobody can replicate questions here, due to copyright/agreement taking the test.

3.) Calculus is pretty much the farthest math skill that you need to know for this test. Is it just basic calculus or is it more advanced? Is Collins helpful enough just by looking at the notes for Calculus?

I can say that keeping cool under pressure & practicing speed served me better than trying to relearn advanced calculus from 4 years before. Know what questions you can answer quickly, which ones you won't know & just can 50/50, and which ones wouldn't be time efficient but might be worth it to come back if you have extra time.

4.) When it comes to A&P, do you need to know what each part of the body does or do you need to know how drugs can effect each part of the body?

I can't speak to this, as they rewrote the test since I took it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Before you start complaining about others not answering your questions, have you answered anyone's questions? It looks like all the questions on the forum have answers and all your questions could be answered by reading some old threads.

Actually I have read many threads and been through many forums which is why I ask, is there anyone that can answer my questions? Because it seems like people are asking the same stuff I am and it never does get answered or hardly gets answered.

1.) Many people say Collins is helpful but then others say it is not. So therefore there are many different study methods because everyone is different, right? So, some people might have photographic memory and they can be able to retain the information more than others, yes?

2.) I am sure it is not that complicated on how many micro questions there were. You have 48 questions and you can't even remember if there was a broad range or a small range? Then you must not have good memory at all if you cannot even retain that information. The blueprint is the most useless thing I have seen. It just gives you areas, and it is hardly specific about hat they want. It is a waste of time looking at that thing.

3.) It may be pharmacy, but you would be suprised how much Calculus people have told me are on the recent PCAT. So therefore there could be a great amount of calculus or a little amount.

4.) Again, the blueprint is no help. So I will not be referring to that.

Honestly I understand where you are coming from. Sorry if I am sounding like a smartass but I am just being blunt and honest. People asks these questions. People need help and guidance. If you can provide it then that is excellent, but if not then it is useless.

If people did so well without asking the specifics why are there so many people that do terrible on the PCAT? Why do so many people ask why did I fail? What do I study? What did I do wrong? Because they need to know the specifics, not everyone is a genius.

I appreciate the help and advice that you have given me and I meant no disrespect in any way, shape, or form.
 
Before you start complaining about others not answering your questions, have you answered anyone's questions? It looks like all the questions on the forum have answers and all your questions could be answered by reading some old threads.

Actually I have read many threads and been through many forums which is why I ask, is there anyone that can answer my questions? Because it seems like people are asking the same stuff I am and it never does get answered or hardly gets answered.

1.) Many people say Collins is helpful but then others say it is not. So therefore there are many different study methods because everyone is different, right? So, some people might have photographic memory and they can be able to retain the information more than others, yes?

One would assume. Is this a question? 😕 I never used Collins. I used a mixture of other PCAT sources, Pearson practice tests, and my original course texts.

2.) I am sure it is not that complicated on how many micro questions there were. You have 48 questions and you can't even remember if there was a broad range or a small range? Then you must not have good memory at all if you cannot even retain that information. The blueprint is the most useless thing I have seen. It just gives you areas, and it is hardly specific about hat they want. It is a waste of time looking at that thing.

Giving specific breakdown information of the exam is not allowed. Unfortunately, the breakdown Pearson provides is the only one I can point you to.

3.) It may be pharmacy, but you would be suprised how much Calculus people have told me are on the recent PCAT. So therefore there could be a great amount of calculus or a little amount.

4.) Again, the blueprint is no help. So I will not be referring to that.

I guess that's your choice? Is there a question here?

Honestly I understand where you are coming from. Sorry if I am sounding like a smartass but I am just being blunt and honest. People asks these questions. People need help and guidance. If you can provide it then that is excellent, but if not then it is useless.

If people did so well without asking the specifics why are there so many people that do terrible on the PCAT? Why do so many people ask why did I fail? What do I study? What did I do wrong? Because they need to know the specifics, not everyone is a genius.

I appreciate the help and advice that you have given me and I meant no disrespect in any way, shape, or form.

I'm sorry that you're disappointed by the level of information available in advance about this test. I believe you may have misinterpreted the purpose of this forum. None of us work for Pearson or any review company (as far as I know). This is a place folks can go to support each other while preparing for the exam or while waiting for scores, among other things. The trouble is, part of the game is figuring out how & what to study based on the information available.